Strange problem: SBLive digital out => home theater

Username: Oddbod

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to hook my SBLive card 5.1 digital to my home theater (was using analog built-in audio before). I have an 1/8" to RCA cable running from the digital S/PDIF plug on the card to the coaxial digitl in on the reeiver.

I can't get more than 2 channels to work at once! I get left/right, no center, and no rear when I put it in 5.1 and run the sound test.

Oddly enough, if I use a stereo 1/8" to split RCA, I can switch them and one side gives me front (right/left) and the other gives me the rear (front/eft) signal. But either one comes out my front speakers.

I'm testing it with SBLive's Audio HQ where it shows a diagram of your speakers and a voice tells you which channel you're hearing.

Any suggestions? I was really looking forward to the improvement over 2-channel audio from the computer.

You can email e if you want, via my profie.

Post Number: 2
Here's a bit of info more. I've discoered that my receiver seems to think it's getting a Pro Logic signal, and is playing sound from the center and rear channels also.

Is there a problem with the discrete channel test maybe? I wish I had a DVD software that did 5.1 sound to test it with. Is there any free software that will play a 5.1 signal for me to test?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 385
actually any dvd that is DD encoded should be able to send out a signal and will flag your receiver to turn on "Dolby Digital" instead of "pro-logic"

Unregistered guest
Dan,

The digital out from your SBLive! needs to have a mono 1/8" running to an RCA coax in on your receiver. In other words make sure the 1/8" going into the SBLive only has one stripe on the connector (not two for stereo!!!) That should solve your problem. I had the same problem until I realized the digital signal is 0's and 1's so the the dual stereo 1/8" just screws it up. Hope this helped.

Hebdo

Rob1112
Unregistered guest
I highly recommend you to look at this site:
http://atlas.csbnet.se/livecenter/showpage.php?id=21&page=4
It has some great advice that I used to connect the SPDIF from my SB live value into my ONKYO amp through an optical interface. I made this from stuff that I had lying around.
The site also has links to other useful site with details. It turns out that the some digital outputs on the live cards are put the front and rear SPDIF outputs to a stereo mini plug. Others don't. Also the voltage output seems to vary greatly as well, from 2.5V to 5 V (both not digital amp standard = 0.5V).

Unregistered guest
Hi all,

I've got the exact same problem like Dan ...unfortunately )-: So if Dan or maybe others have found a solution then I would appreciate that very much.

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Cream158@hotmail.com

t-mu
Unregistered guest
hello,

I too have a problem with SB live's digital capabilities. i cant seem to find an appropiate cable to connect my sblive to my amplifier, the card has an digital out but you cant fit coax or optical cables into it, so i'd appreciate if someone would tell me which cable to use.

Post Number: 3
t-mu, I am using a standard 1/8" to RCA (mono) jack to plug the SBLive digital output into my receiver's digital coax input. It seems to work fine for basic stereo operation. I still don't think my computer is outputting 5.1 sound properly, but I don't really have a 5.1 source file to try out. I mostly use the computer for watching TV on, which is never 5.1 anyway.

My DVD software on that PC doesn't support 5.1 output either, so I guess it's a moot point. If I watch a DVD I'm using my stand-alone DVD player.

Bronze Member
Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 14
go to start, programs, accessories, entertainment, volume control. Then click on options and select advanced controls. Then under the main volume click advanced. Set it to "digital output only" and this should solve your problems. Oh yeah, make sure you plug the 1/8" into the right hole.... that hole can be located by looking at your manual...

Unregistered guest
Hi!

Shamefully I have to join the crew by saying "mine doesn't work either!"
It appeared that the surround mixer program skips all other channels but front left and front right.. I've run some programs to test if i have surround or not and all of them seem to tell the same result; the rear speakers are not saying a thing.

Rich W
Unregistered guest
OK here's how the SB Live's digital output works...

Firstly, you need to realise that one SPDIF connection carries EITHER normal stereo sound OR compressed multi-channel sound. There are actually 3 separate stereo connections in that socket on the back of the SB Live:

Connection 1 carries front left and front right
Connection 2 carries rear left and rear right
Connection 3 carries centre & sub

If you put a mono plug in the socket you get only the first of these - the front channels. If you put a stereo plug in, you get front and rear, one on each side of the cable. Creative's own speaker systems have a special 3-pole plug to pick up all 3 signals.

Unfortunately, home cinema receivers don't usually have a triple SPDIF input, so you can only get a stereo signal.

However, you can get some DVD software to send the compressed multi-channel signal down the "front" connection for your receiver to decode, giving you proper surround sound when playing DVDs. I think there's an option marked "AC3 decode" in the SB Live advanced settings, which needs to be turned OFF.

Hope that helps!

Reymond
Unregistered guest
Hi, im having problems coonecting my speakers Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 to my ceative SB Live 5.1 soundcard via the SPDIF minijack. All speakers work when using the analog Line in via the tandem wires but the quality isnt all that. Im connecting the SPDIF and minijack cables to the Digital out on the sound card and selecting the digital din option on the reciever.decoder but still not working. I dont have much knowledge in this area so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot

Unregistered guest
I connected my live to a yamaha amplifier coax input. But when i play dvd, or an avi with ac3 sound, then the sound somtimes pause, skip. ( in 1 minute, twice )
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us