Hi, newbie with questions

Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 1
Hi, folks. I'm planning 2 HT systems in my new house. One will be for casual viewing in a billiard room setting. 42" panasonic EDTV plasma is the planned display there. The other will be for more sit-down movie and TV viewing. Planning a Panny 42 HDTV plasma there. This is my first 'clean sheet of paper' opportunity in 20 years, and maybe the last for another 20 years. I *am* on a budget (say $10k total for both systems. I really want to go 100% digital to the screen for video, and hopefully 100% digital to the power amps on audio. I've found the Panasonic SAXR70S is close to my goal on audio (no HDMI switching, I'll need a Geffen box for that). I've found various DVD players and a few DVD recorders that have HDMI outputs. So far only 1 DVD recorder/HDD with HDMI in my price range (Samsung DVD-HR720).

However, it seems the expectation is that the video IN to the DVR will be analog? And maybe S-video at that (no component video input)? Does anyone know of a cable-card slot equipped DVR (DVD RAM or HDD) so I can stay digital at the input to the DVR? Or, a DVR with HDMI input (and feedthru to output)? I doubt firewire output will be available on my cable box (any Dallas area Comcast customers out there? Can I get a combination HDTV/DVR box from Comcast? Is a firewire output available on the non-HD STBs?)for the non-HD system. This seems to be the only common digital input on DVRs.

Am I overlooking any good equipment choices here? Say, under $500 street price for receiver, and $500 for the DVR function?

Thanks for listening. Any suggestions/advise is welcome.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 613
Are you setting all this up yourself??

Post Number: 2
Yes. I am a RF/analog design engineer by training, now embracing the digital domain. All my vinyl LPs and video tapes were destroyed in a flood several years ago, severing my last analog ties. We just sold our lakefront house to a wealthy Houstonite, including all furnishings, electronics, even dishes and linens. They are using it for a weekend house. Since we are sans-furniture, we are having the walls and floors re-done at the new house, so I can do all the wiring needed for surround. In a few more weeks, it will be time to purchase the new HT equipment. Glad I found this forum, and hope to learn a lot from you folks.

Post Number: 3
Oh, yeah... also ran across the Panasonic SA-XR55, which lacks the SA-XR70 HDMI in/out (sort of useless with no switching capability), but has the all-digital (with D/A just in front of the output power amps) 7.1 surround. It also switches the surround channels to automagically bi-amp the front speakers when in 'stereo' mode. Cool! BTW, the 'billiard room' EDTV system will be the system used for most music litening, and I am alsi interested in suggestions for reasonably priced speakers for the front/stereo channels. Say, $1k max for the pair? I guess I should venture into the correct forum for this question.....

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 631
I suggest two sep systems if you can. One for music, one for HT. If not then I would try and use a good reciever instead of two ok rec. to power both systems. Without going into too much detail , I really think you could benefit from professional help in this. There are plenty of shops that could simplify all of this with one system and one remote. As for speakers, I love the Totem Rainmakers I just bought for music, but they may fall short for impact in movies without a subwoofer.
I would stay away from Panasonic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us