Is it possible to connect a mono TV and VCR to to an a/v receiver?

Could some one tell me if its possible to connect a non stereo TV and VCR to a a/v receiver in order to enjoy dolby prologic from TV sources?

John Andrade
(Antonio, see reply to Freitas on DVD/TV combo). Is your question strictly on "connection," or on being able to receive "dolby prologic," or both?

John Andrade
My original and complete reply to Freitas on DVD/TV combo didn't all take. It also included "thanks" (to you) for leading me to check out my first foreign web site (Portuguese, likewise).

Hello John, i think my question relates to both aspects, i dont know what kind of connections do the modern a/v receivers have to connect to the tv, i have cable tv and so i thought maybe i could connect the coaxial cable to the receiver so the receiver could get stereo sound and therefore prologic, the tv would get image through some kind of video output in the receiver?

John Andrade
The answer to your original question is: Yes. You can enjoy dolby pro-logic with the proper receiver, and just view the image on your current TV. You can also connect the mono VCR, however, the sound output from your VCR will be in mono (but coming from both your left and right speakers; providing that's the way you want to hook them up. Do you know what receiver you will be getting?

Not yet, i have been checking a few (like pioneer VSX-D409), but what kind of outputs or inputs will i be looking for in a proper receiver?

John Andrade
Most new receivers will have both analog and digital I/O. On digital, some receivers will have Optical or Coaxial, or both (of course it's always better to have both). Pioneer will offer what you need in one of their models (I haven't looked at the regular Pioneer models (only Pioneer Elite; which have it all). I don't have cable (I have Satelite, fully digital), but I'm assuming cable has gone fully digital (look at the back of your cable box for proper output connection type). If you can receive a program with Pro-logic, and your receiver has Pro-logic (new receivers will), then it's just a matter of proper connection from your source device to the receiver (your mono tv will be used as video source only).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us