Question: Delay Settings for "Real" Living Rooms

Lord Alfred
I have the Onkyo 650 and I have really enjoyed it so far. I'm happy with my system but I have an important question. I, and I imagine many other people, do not have a living room setup that is "optimal" for home theatre. It is a smaller, square room, with the entertainment center along one wall, a couch on the opposite wall, and a chair and loveseat on the sides. There is not enough space to set the couch away from the wall. People will be sitting wildly varying distances from the center and surround speakers.

Q: Given this information, what are the optimal delay settings for your center/surrounds? I have pondered this and cannot come to a conclusion. Those mathematical equations are no help since they all depend on a single, set, distance from the listener. Surely others have this problem and can offer advice?

Lord Alfred
Anyone? Please?

box
I have a similar setup with some seating along the side wall; not at all the best location for movie viewing/home theater listening. I just accepted this fact and didn't try to create a perfect set up for all viewers.

Rather than try to compromise the sound with a setup that is "fair" for all viewers, I decided to create a perfect setup for one general area. I established the seating directly opposite the tv towards the far wall to be the primary listening position and set up the sound system to be optimal for that location.

Changes in the surround delay settings, although noticeable, are subtle. When watching movies where I am seated on the chairs along the side wall, I know I'm not getting the "optimal" effect, but the Onkyo still gives an impact to my location where I can thoroughly enjoy the movie.

Lord Alfred
Thank you, box. So basically, just pick one of the seats and used the equations to tailor the delay settings to that one area.

box
That's what I pretty much did, and I'm happy. I suggest you use your couch as the primary listening position and do your calculations.

Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us