TV connections or HT receiver connections?

Anonymous
I was wondering if I should hook up all my inputs directly to the TV (I have 4 S-Video and 1 component hookup (I think for a progressive scan DVD). This is my first HT system. I have a Hitachi 47 HDTV and an Onkyo HTS 650 system. Which is better to hookup my components to, the TV or HT Receiver?

Anonymous
I think the only difference is that if you plug into the back of the TV you will have the option of sound from the TV and the receiver (I'm assuming you will run a left and right audio to the Receiver.). Also, video inputs will only work with the TV's remote? I could be wrong

fartboy14
hooking video directly into the TV is always better

can anyone tell me how to connect my tv, video,on-digital box and eurobell box up ?

I have it all connected but i can never find what channel is showing, and then not all can be recorded bythe video.

Hope you can help me
regards
colin

Derek
There are two ways to do this;

1. If your television has two or more video inputs: Connect your DVD to Video-1 (Super-VHS or Component) and connect your VCR to Video-2 (Super-VHS or Composite). Connect the VARIABLE audio out from the TV to the TV or Aux input of the the receiver of amplified speakers. The major advantage to this configuration is that it is very easy to use. Anyone coming to your home will be able to control channel, volume and source from your TVs remote. Slightly better picture because everything goes straight to the TV. The disadvantage - no [easy] Dolby Digital. Surround sound works though.

2. Connect the DVD and VCR (and other equipment) to a receiver that does video switching and only connect one cable (S-VHS, Component of Composite) to your TV. The advantage to this approach: Dolby Digital works. You can connect much more equipment. You can record from any source to any VCR including VCR to VCR. The television can be placed away from the other equipment since it is only a monitor at this point. Better sound over all since it does not have to pass through a wistling TV. The disadvantage: Complex to set up and unless you purchase and program a universal/learning remote, no one else will be able to use your system. Lots of wires too.

Anonymous
I just purchased Mitsibishi big screen TV and I would like to know what I will need to connect, to perform better, Since I do have home theater system, VCR and Satelite receiver,
Please help
Thanks

Derek
See my March 7th post or see the "DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up" thread for a more thorough explanation. There are two long posts there.

Anonymous
I just purchased an Toshiba HDTV and the Onkyo 650 Home Theater system. I already have a DVD although not progressive scan and a digital cable box (Explorer).

What is the best way to hook these together for movies and tv (tv surround)?

Anonymous
I have a Direct tv receiver going to my vcr and to my tv and also to a video usb capture gadget of AYI. Now to the best of my knowledge to get all to work, i got a maize of cables with a 2 x 1 splitter and a A/B switch. I have my outdoor antenna ( which is an output, needed to go into an input. The only way i was able to get my system to work , ( i'm not saying its the best way ) is first put a cable to the recievers ant in. The other end to the input of out of the 2 x1 plitter. At the splitter, I have an outdoor uhf antenna cable going to the one input. The other output of the splitter going to input marked Cable A as a jumper. Cable B input is going, and now this I don't understand, to the input of my USB capture gadget. An input to an input? Somehow it works. When I tried to reverse it and put it to an output..it won't work. The TV ouput of that A/B switch is going to my outdoor antenna...again, an output from a antenna? As far as my VCR, I have the TV output of the reciever going to the RF input of the VCR, and the RF output of the VCR going to my TV input. I hope i didn't confuse anyone, but I'm sure someone will remark..how can u have an input going to another input and etc. I totally agree, but there it is. I'm open for a better connections.

Hardley40
How do I hook up surround sound, TV, satelite, DVD and VCR so that I can listen to all through the surround sound? Right now I can only listen to the DVD player through the surround sound. I also can only play from VCR to TV, not record from TV to VCR.

Derek
See my March 7th post or see the "DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up" thread for a more thorough explanation. There are two long posts there.

have a toshiba hdtv with a mated dvd and a denon sound system. looking for a vcr hook up that a "over 50" guy can do.dosen't have to be fancy, I will probably use the dvd most of the time.
Nice site, I intend to rummage and update my weak knowledge of electronics.Just put it in my favorites. Thanks for any reply.

Anonymous
I bought my Direct Tv system from WalMart several years ago. I cancelled my subscription because of hardship. How can I get reconnected?

Derek
Call DirecTV. They have a "Moving" service where they will install the dish for free except for shipping. They usually expect you to call before you disconnect, but if you beg...

I believe they may hook you up for free if you commit to have at least Total Choice for a year. It's 1-800-DirecTV.

I have one TV, which has only one conmponent input and 3 A/V input (one is S-video), one Satellite TV receiver (dish network - one A/V input, one S-video, one RF input), one VCR (1 A/V and 1 RF input/output), two DVD (one is for recording purpose since it is microvision disable and can let me watch not regional 1 DVD, the other is universal player can play DVD-v/DVD-a/SACD/VCD/CD/MP3/JPEG, and finally the Onkyo HT-S760. Since the onkyo and universal DVD player were recently bought, I really don't know how to connect them to get the best A/V result for all the purposes I need (play DVD-v/DVD-a/SACD, watch and record satellite TV, and watch and record DVD. Please help me out. I am really new in this area. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous
We can not get one VCR to copy another's VHS tapes with our Onkyo HT-r500. We are using an old TV with no s or composite, two JVC VCRs and an Onkyo DVD player.
I read this:
. Connect the DVD and VCR (and other equipment) to a receiver that does video switching and only connect one cable (S-VHS, Component of Composite) to your TV. The advantage to this approach: Dolby Digital works. You can connect much more equipment. You can record from any source to any VCR including VCR to VCR. "
We have tried this, but still the VCR to VCR isn't working. They taped fine to each other before we set up the home theater, so there must be a problem with how we are setting things up.... or something
Any ideas?

Much appreciation,

Amy

Anonymous
How do I hook up surround sound, TV, satelite, DVD and VCR so that I can listen to all through the surround sound?

I don't know how to register a tape from a vcr (sony slv-100) to other vcr (samsungxv30 xk). if you could make tell me what I need for conecting them( I have antennan in and out and euroscart for both) and how should I conect them and to the tv and set the channel for a good recording. Also how can I record an adult videotape which, I think, they protect it in some way?
Thank you for your help.

C Step
I have a Sony 40 inch XBR.I also have a hdtv ready cable box converter. Plus I have a Sony DVD player and a JVC VHS player. My question is what is the best way to connect to my TV .A schimatic would be very helpful.Or step by step instructions.

i can watch all tv and vcr programmes around the house but not dvd is there something that will allow me to transmit the dvd signal all around the house.thankyou in advance.

sctland
i recently got direct tv,,now i have a dvd player,anyone tell me how to hook the dvd and tv up to the direct tv

I am electronically challenged. :-(
We have Adelphia digital cable, a stereo TV, a stereo DVD, and a stereo VCR to be topped off with a stereo receiver that we play the sound through. I need to know how to hook it all up so that VCR works for us, as well as the DVD and TV. I have the Adelphia User's Guide of about 30 pages and it seems to cover almost anything EXCEPT the above configuration. I have 3, maybe 4 sets of cables (red, white and yellow).
We've had the TV and DVD working fine, but the VCR has been unable to record anything - at least the way I've tried. The VCR is a JVC (model HR-J610U), the DVD is a Sony (DVP-S360), the TV is a Sony (KV-32S66) and the "stereo receiver" mentioned above is an Aiwa (NSX-AV800 compact disc stereo system).
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
How can I hook my dvd to vcr or what it is i need to do to be able to record DVD movies to VCR?

Anonymous
I have a regular t.v.(cable connction only) , satelite with rca's for l&r audio (in). a VCR with audio (IN)& (OUT),video(IN & OUT). A DVD player with video(OUT), audio (IN & OUT). Is there a way to hook them up together to have the satelite in stereo?

Derek
Unless you use a receiver, this http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F009%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D2525 is the only way I know of.

Anonymous
i have a digi box ,tv dvd and video that i cant connect up please help.i also want to use an ariel booster. tv has 2 scarts and 1 ariel socket
video 2 ariel sockets and 2 scarts.
dvd has 1 scart and ariel booster 2 ariel sockets. any suggestions?

Anonymous
I have a adelphia motorola cable box, a dvd recorder, a jvc video recorder, and a new philips tv. does anyone have suggestion on how to hook these up to be able to record on dvd and watch a different channel on tv at the same time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us