DVD Recorder / HDTV setuup

Username: Gman39

Post Number: 1
Hello, i've recently upgraded my home theater system. I've added a Dish HDTV receiver, Yamaha rx-v440 receiver and a Sansui, VHS /DVD recorder. TV is a Panasonic 53" 16.9 with two component video inputs and 4 video. My current connections have,line in from Sat into HDTV receiver and component out on the HDTV receiver into component one on TV. I then go Super Video, out on HDTV receiver into Super video on DVD recorder, I then go component out on DVD recorder into Yamaha component in, then I do Yamaha component monitor out into TV. With this configuration I am able to view TV and movies using the dvd recorder. If I switch over to component 2 I can manipulate dvd such as format/and other setup options. The problem I'm have is recording. When I switch back over to component 1 or video 1 I hit the record button, the dvd's counter starts doing it thing, I stop, press play and I get nada.. I switch over to component 2 and get nada. I know I'm missing something but after reading 3 manuals I now find myself totally confused. Please help.

Unregistered guest
Robert,

Let me know if you get an answer. I am going thru the same problem. I hope its not that we can not record High Def. Please put on subject line DVD Recorder Assistance. This way I wont delete message.

Thanks
Ray

Unregistered guest
Robert,

Let me know if you get an answer. I am going thru the same problem. I hope its not that we can not record High Def. Please put on subject line DVD Recorder Assistance. This way I wont delete message.

Thanks
Ray
email bytzo@hotmail.com

Anonymous

Currently it is not possible to record HDTV on to DVD, laser wavelegnth and DVD size limitations prevent it, the BLU-Wave group (several large companies) are working on a new HD-DVD format, there were rumors of release in Japan in late 2003, and in the US in 2004, but I have not been able to find any models listed that are capable! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

tvbits
Unregistered guest
You may need to see if the Dish receiver is using the s-video out when it is also using component out for HD material. I have a Hughs Direct TV HD receiver, and it down converts to 480i (standard TV) or 480p on the s-video and composit outputs, while providing 1080i or 720p HD material on the component output. Recording the 480i (or 480p) from s-video will not be real HD. Philips DVD recorders seem to record from component in and a new one is coming out with audio optical in (dolby 5.1). Though at best it will record at the maximum DVD video resolution, not full HD.

Unregistered guest
To Anonymous:
Laser wavelength has nothing to do with it and DVD size limitations only a litte. Laser wavelenght only becomes a factor when higher densities are required, which is what you would need to record the extra data on a DVD disk using the current standard MPEG 2 format. Using more advanced protocols with the capability for higher compression rates would solve the problem without new DVD technology, of course then the "firmware" on the players and recorders would have to be changed. Something has got to give. A second solution is to record less time on a DVD - which still requires some changes to the "firmware". Bottom line, mr ananoymous is correct - can't be done right now, because the big boys can't get their act together.

Now - the answer you want to hear.. you can record that HDTV program on your DVD recorder, you just have to use the low resolution output from the DTV (digital television) receiver. Can't have it all unfortunatily.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us