Crossover???

ray
Someone help me undertand Crossover frequency and what I'm creating when I change from 80 to 100 to 120 on my Onkyo 650!!!! And please do not get too tech.

Anonymous
I'm not too familiar with the Onkyo 650, but I believe that you are setting the frequencies to send to the subwoofer. For example, if you have your speakers set to "small", the receiver will send all the frequencies below the value you set (80, 100, or 120 Hz) to the subwoofer. The better your speakers, the lower you can set the crossover frequency.

box
ray,

Here's a simplified explanation... If you set your crossover frequency to 80Hz, your five main speakers will produce sound frequencies above 80Hz. The sound frequencies below 80Hz (which are the lowest frequency sounds) will be channeled to the subwoofer.

If your five main speakers can produce good sounding bass, then you can set the crossover to a low frequency, like 80Hz, so that the subwoofer would be dedicated to the very lowest frequency sounds only.

If your five main speakers don't produce lower frequencies very loudly or clearly, then set the crossover a little higher, say 100Hz or 120Hz, so that your subwoofer can produce those low frequency sounds that the five main speakers have trouble producing.

For the Onkyo HTS650 speakers, I've found that the crossover of 120Hz sounds best.

Anonymous
FWIW, THX processing uses a fixed 80Hz crossover for the sub channel. if you use THX, it doesn't matter what the sub is set to, it should only receive 80Hz signals.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us