Help with set up

Username: Ezekiel

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I recently obtained a Kenwood nv-701 off a friend, and am currently trying to hook it up to my dvd player,

My DVD player has, coaxial, digital and 6 other RCA's for surround.
The reciever has, all the same

I first connected up all the RCA's to the right position, and started hooking up the speakers but I decided to test to see if it was all working, (currently only have the sub, the centre and the left front speaker connected)

I get no sound out of the unit at all through surround

I ran the outputs from the dvd player through an old VCR to test and the sound works through that.

Is there anyone who would be able to help me?

The reciever has a cd player and radio tuner in it, and when selected the sound travels through the speakers fine. I just seem to be having an issue with the surround sound. After reading a few threads here I tried to connect the coaxials together with a stadard RCA and I am still not having any luck.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 24
finish making all electrical connections to the unit before plugging it in.

hook the DVD players video up to the "play in" composite video jack.

hook "monitor out" to your tv's input.

hook the DVD players fiber optic output to "Video 2 Opt In"

after all hookups are complete press menu

use the "multi control" buttons to scroll up in down till "surround options" is highlighted.

press set to select.

again scroll up and down using "multi control" until "speaker selection" is highlighted

press "set" to select.

choose the size and positions of the speakers you are running. press "enter" to save changes

Now again press Menu

again scroll up and down until "input Mode" is highlighted. press set to make changes.

Scroll up and down till Video 2 is selected press set again

scroll up and down until "D-Auto" is selected

press set then enter to save and exit.

this should properly configure and set up your amp to receive the optical digital from your dvd player.

Here is your manual:

http://www.kenwood.nl/languages/EN/support/manuals/NV-701-301.pdf#search='Kenwood%20nv701%20manual'

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your help,

Because I got it off a friend of course he didnt have the manual...

At the moment I have the coaxial from the dvd player going into the coaxial on the unit, The only thing that I couldn't figure out is how to set the input, but thanks to you it got solved.

How does coaxial perform? Is it actually worth the couple of bucks to get an optical cable?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Optical moves at the speed of light... coaxial moves at the speed of electricity.

186,000 miles per second vs. 17,500 miles per second.

The D/A conversion rate is similar, so unless you are a philharmonic Maestro running the most incredible sound system known to man, your ear won't hear the difference.

The main benefit is when transposing digital signals to light pulses no D/A conversion is needed. When transposing it to a PCM or Bitstream signal (coax) it is D/A converted once before it reaches your Receiver.

Post Number: 3
I aquired an optical lead, and followed your initital steps, and now I get no sound output at all.
If I connect up the 6 RCA's for each speaker on the back of the dvd player I at least get audio, althought it doesn't go through the subwoofer at all.

I was getting all speakers fine through the coaxial, but I wanted to use my Video1 for my PC.
Any suggestions?

I have tried playing around with all the settings on the dvd player aswell. And even tried a new player

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Yes, if you want to use optical cable from your dvd player, you will have to switch the unit to video 2 instead of video 1 to hear dvd as you were previously doing.

This is because the digital inputs are pre-assigned and cannot be re-assigned.

Post Number: 4
I'm aware on the 2 Video inputs, I am just having a problem now, with using purely the video 2 optical connection. I have it connected and the input selection on the amp set to video 2 'd-auto'. All the speakers are enabled and set up. And still I get no sound out.

When I was using the Coax (video 1) I had all the sound working fine. And when I connect all the Individual 6 channel Inputs I get sound (which are video 2 aswell), But no subwoofer

I just can't understand why i get no sound when using purely optical. Any ideas?

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
hmmm not a good thing.

First off do not look directly into the light coming out of the dvd optical out or the cable, look at them at an angle, you will see the red glow np.

Check the digital inputs, get the dvd playing something, make sure you can see a light illuminating the optical digital plug where the cable would plug into it.. if you see the light then plug the cable in and see if light is emitting from the cable. If you see light in both positions you may have a bad input on your receiver.

If you dont see light emitting from the dvd players port, then it is possible your dvd player may have a setup menu where you have to go in and select which digital out you want to use. Post its model number and i will look it up.

if you see light on the dvd but not out of the cable when plugged in you have a bad cable.

if light is making it through both and receiver set to digital auto then the possibility exists that the optical input on the receiver is bad :/

Post Number: 5
I get light out of the DVD player, I get light out of the other end of the cable.

I am yet to ask my friend if he ever had a problem using the optical connection.

It had been sitting in his spare room for a while with no protective plug in the optical port, perhaps it needs a cleanout?

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Most likely not, but you can try...

Only other thing i can recommend, is that for some reason, in the manual, there is a sentence which reads,

"If digital connections are made to the Digital Video 2 Opt. In jack, It is also recommended to make connections to the appropriate analog Audio - Video 2/6 Ch. input jacks."

I cant think of any good reason to do this, so it makes me wonder if they havent somehow set a current sensing system in place which the optical input relies on.. Stupid, i know, but might want to try hooking up both the 6 channel input and then plugging in the optical and see if it will go into digital mode.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us