Problem with component video and sound

John James
Unregistered guest
I recently got a new Hitachi plasma tv and I am trying to hook it up to my LG dvd player but am having problems.
I want to play the dvd's sound through external speakers hooked up to a receiver, so I have connected the audio out of the tv to the receiver. When I hook up a composite video cable to between the tv and the dvd player, I get both picture and sound through the receiver.
The problem I'm having is as soon as I connect the COMPONENT video between the dvd player and the tv, I get no sound through the receiver!

Can anyone tell me why this is, and if I can fix it?

Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 6
Yep

You are using a MONITOR Audio Out from the TV.

Check to see if the TV has a Variable audio output.

If not you are screwed.

In many TV's the Monitor output is disconnected from any digital video input source such as component video.

You shouldn't be using analog stereo audio cables to listen to your dvd player anyway, and most tv manufacturers count on this.

Either route your video through the video switching on your AV receiver, or buy a new AV receiver with digital inputs and run SPDIF (coax) or OPTICAL DIGITAL from your dvd player into your receiver and get the true surround sound instead of a processed dolby.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us