Amplifier Impedance Selector Switch

Username: Nag

Post Number: 1
What will the impedance selector switch on amplifier do? Does it effects the quality of sound?. I have Yamaha YHT-450 HTIB. My all speakers have 6 ohm impedance.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1092
Some will disagree with me, but I'd leave the receiver at 8ohm regardless.

Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 7
not going to disagree with Paul, I would leave it at 8 ohm as well, but just so you know.

Leaving it set to 8 ohm while running 6 ohm speakers will shorten the amplifier life to a certain degree.

The effect of impedance on an amplifier is E=I*R... Also known as Ohm's Law. without breaking down into a mathematics lesson the basis is this, for every time you halve the resistance you will roughly double the load on the amplifier.

So, in essence, you are over driving your amplifier by reducing the load over your speakers vs. the setting.

On the plus side you will get increased amplifier response and sensitivity...

translation increased definition and clarity

on the downside if you try to get into a pissing competition with the neighbors you are more likely to blow your amp.

All a matter of how you play your stereo really.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1158
To put things simply. Most receivers will perform their best at the 8ohm setting. All except the most insanely expensive separates.......anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4025

Unfortunately no speakers are a constant impedance load. Take a look at a speaker that claims it is "compatible with 8 Ohms":

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/664/index4.html

You'll see the impedance goes from a minimum of 4.4 Ohms to off the scale at the high end. This is a budget speaker. It will drive most amplifiers, expensive or not, into a fit trying to drive that electrical impedance load.

If this is a HTIB, then I would guess the manufacturer gave instructions in the owner's manual on how to position the impedance switch. Have you read the manual?

You can drive the 6 Ohm speakers with the switch set to either setting. They will make sound no matter which selection you choose. To be honest, in a HTIB, the sound quality between the two positions is probably not going to noticeable. It is seldom noticeable in more expensive receivers.

I would try both and listen for any difference in sound quality. Your ears should be your guide. If the speakers sound the same in either position, the lower impedance selection of the switch will provide some protection to a power supply collapsing and doing damage.

As in all instances, when you hear distortion turn the amplifier's volume dowm or you will damage the speakers and possibly the amplifier. If the music you listen to has a substantial amount of distortion already in it, when you turn up the volume control you will reach a point where the actual volume no longer increases with the volume position. That is the limit of the power amplifier. If you continue to listen at this volume, you will damage the speakers. Turn the amplifier down or else you will be visiting the service center and paying for repairs. Manufacturers warranties do not pay for damage inflicted by the owner.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us