Sound problem developed after 18 months working ok

Val
Unregistered guest
I have a Home Cinema System connected to my TV, VCR & Satellite. Everything worked fine until last week. Now when I watch Satellite channels, the soundtrack is that of the previous non satellite channel that I have been watching. Everything else is OK, it plays the correct soundtrack for DVD, Radio Tuner, VCR and non satellite channels, but will not play the sound for satellite channels.
Everything is connected by Scarts and I have replaced each scart lead in turn with one which I know is OK to see if this is the cause of the problem. The only thing I haven't done is replace the audio leads as I do not have any spares to try.

Does anyone know if the problem is likely to be with the leads or if it could be the Home Cinema Unit itself which is at fault?

Thank you.

Val

Username: Mark1975

Post Number: 1
Val,

Thought I was the only one with this problem when I watch sky now the processed surround is non exisitent and can only listen via 2 channel. It is like my amp is not processing stereo into pro logic....Is it skys output that as changed?

Mark

Val
Unregistered guest
Mark,

Did you mean that you can receive the sound signal but it is very quiet and or not pro logic, or did you mean that there is no sound at all?

I just can't get any sound at all for the Sky channels.

Did your problem first occur in the last week as mine did? If so, you could be right about Skys output.

Val

Post Number: 2
Val,

The sound over the last week used to come via the sky through normal red/white audio sockets into my amp and then out of amp in pro logic. but in the last week the sound came through garbled and unaudiable and I had to change a setting on the amp to get any sound at all(chnged frompro logic to sony's music mode on amp) but nowhere near the quality that I got before last week.

Mark

Val
Unregistered guest
Mark

That all sounds very interesting. I wonder if it's worth trying to ring Sky Technical Dept to see if they can throw any light on it. It seems strange that we have both experienced problems in the last week.
In the meantime I will have to try altering the settings on the Home Cinema System to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Val

Post Number: 3
Val

May have to throw a spanner in the works here...maybe...have you recently fitted a digital sender to your 2nd scart on sky box that allows you to view it on a tv elsewhere in your house...it was the only thing i have changed in the last week disconnected it and everything is now fine?

Mark

Val
Unregistered guest
Mark

No I haven't done anything like that. I asked someone who works in a HI FI store and he thinks it might be a problem with the Satellite box and not the sound system. He definitely thinks it's got nothing to do with the audio leads!!! He suggested that I reset the Sat Box and I am going to try that later.
I'm glad you've got your problem sorted out anyway.
Thanks for your help.

Val

Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 2
Val,

Your problem sounds identical to a satellite box problem i have encountered in the field. a few questions...

Is your satellite box seamless switching capable?

(seamless switching means it scans for and tunes channels available from non satellite sources such as basic cable or terrestrial antennea)

If so do you mean by "soundtrack is that of the previous non satellite channel that I have been watching" that if you switch to a satellite channel, you still hear audio from the local (or cable) channel?

If the answer to both of these is yes, i have had to replace a sat box in the field that had this same problem. Most likely a sat box problem.

Val
Unregistered guest
Michael

My satellite box is already preset with satellite only channels (UK Sky) The model is a Panasonic DSB40 and will only tune in channels which are broadcast via satellite.

By soundtrack, I mean that although the TV displays the picture of the satellite channel, the sound is that from a terrestrial channel which has it's own antenna. When I am watching terrestrial TV I will have pressed the "TV" button on the remote control. When I switch to satellite, I simply press the "AV" button on the remote and it automatically switches to the Satellite channels and until last week, the correct sound came through with it. However, since then, the pictures changes but the sound doesn't.

Furthermore, I have just noticed that the same problem has arisen with the VCR which is connected to the satellite and TV. It is also connected to an AV connection and this too has started to display the VCR picture but the terrestrial sound.
I'm confused now and don't know which piece of equipment is at fault.

Do you have any more suggestions?

Thanks

Val

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 28
OK this is sounding like an input synch problem.

First im assuming that all of this equipment is plugged into an audio receiver. going from this assumption it sounds like the TV's input is being changed, but the receivers is not.

double check that your televisions input corresponds to the input the satellite is plugged into. make sure that you see Video 5 (or whatever the input is) displayed on the screen when you switch to sat. Be sure that we are not looking at an RF loop from say, the VCR on channel 4.

After you confirm that your TV is indeed tuned to the proper input, check to make sure your receiver is tuned to the proper input, possibly calle dtv dbs, video 1 or whatever.

Physicaly trace the audio cables with your hands to confirm that the inputs are correct and no one switched them by accident or what have you.

once you have positively confrimed that the audio from the sat is going to input (X) on the receiver and the video is going to input (y) on the television, and you have the 2 proper inputs selected, if you are still hearing terrestrial ant then something is very odd and we will have to get more involved with the diagnoses.

If that doesnt prove to be the problem, next time post the model numbers of your equipment so i can pull manuals and refer to inputs by their proper names, particularly the HT receiver.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us