6.1 or 7.1 Receiver?

Username: Jkwis

Post Number: 6
I am setting up a home theater system in my basement and I have a quetion about the kind of receiver I need. I will have 6 speakers and a sub in my main listening area and then a seperate speaker in my bathroom which will all need to be connected on the same receiver. The speaker in my bathroom will just be used for listening to music and not be needed when watching tv/movies.
Do I still need to go with a 7.1 or could I use 6.1 receiver? How would I connect the bathroom speaker if I can just go with the 6.1?
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 96
For whole-house sound (or just a bathroom) you'll need a distribution amplifier. This device allows impedance matched, sound level control of add-on speakers from the main source. There are literally hundreds of configurations ranging from simple 1ch to multi-channel, zone, and source configurations.

Go with the HT configuration that suits your budget and get a small amp (5-15w) and Speaker volume pad for the bathroom. Or, if you want more flexibility and control check this out;
http://www.smarthome.com/8270as.html

Post Number: 7
If I just get a 7.1 receiver and live with the fact the there will be sound in the bathroom speaker during movies/tv, an issues with?

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 98
if your planning on putting one of the surround speakers in the bathroom, the sound you'll get from movies will sound somewhat strange. The content of surround channels is not a complete program but something sometimes far less. Not to mention, you lose the effect channel from the rest of the HT. Your choice. (seems extreme for sound in a bathroom unless you spend a lot of time in there... never mind, I don't want to know.)

Post Number: 8
i'm not planning on listening to movies/tv in the bathroom, I just thought it would be an easy solution without having to buy extra equipment.
I will be purchasing a Marantz or NAD receiver, would using the speaker A/B button work instead?

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 99
If your receiver has that feature it would be the most cost effective way to go. Typically this would give you a stereo only mode for the add-on speakers (which is what want) and much better choice than using a channel of the surround. Try it, got nothing to loose.

Post Number: 9
Ok, if I use the speaker a/b option then for the lone speaker in the bathroom, would I just need a 6.1 receiver or a 7.1 then?

Silver Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 101
There are others on this forum closer to the format argument than I, comes down to wether you want 1 rear or 2 rear surrounds. Both formats are matrix decoded at this time anyhow. If it where my money I'd put it on the 6.1.

Reason; I like change but I'm not what marketing calls an early adopter. In other words, I'm ok letting the manufacturers sell their 'vaporware' to others and then jumping in just as the second generation goes on sale. Also, hardware always seems to be a step or two ahead of software. I haven't seen any 7.1 or even 6.1 DVD's out there yet. (there may well be some???)

Given all the considerations of HT, I'll buy to budget today, get what I want, and look forward to my next upgrade in a few years.

my 2¢

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1033
6.1 or 7.1 is irrelevent.......
What the heck are you trying to tell this poor guy???

If anything, if you are "NOT" planning on using both simultanously while playing different sources, simply install a small pair of speakers in the bathroom and run it off speaker "B".

If you want to play music in the toilet while watching a movie in the other room simultanously, you'll need to buy a 2-zone receiver.

As for using a 7.1HT setup......YES, IT'S WORTH IT!!! The disc may not be recorded in that format origionally, but the receivers convert it into 7.1 and it sounds better with two back speakers than it does one. Especially if your surround speakers are 25ft apart like they are in my theater!!! Having those two speakers on the back wall make all the difference in the world and fills the room with sound like was otherwise impossible(if running only 5.1)

Post Number: 10
I won't be listening to movies/dvds in the main area and music in the bathroom at the same time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
Well then....

Simply run a small set of speakers off speaker 'b' into your bathroom. Either that, or a simple portable radio will do just about as well. Plus you'll have the controls handy while you're in there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
thanks for the info

Silver Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 103
I don't mean to discount what Paul says, but then again not everyone has an unlimited budget and half-a-house HT! [he's bragging anyway :p ] Sure 7 speakers are Better, but so are 8 or 9 or even 10. Who knows what new developments will spring up in the next year. Spend all your money now or save and upgrade every 2-3yrs. Your choice.

I stand by my advice to buy on budget. I see so many buy on credit only to find that the technology has jumped 2 or 3 notches before they pay off their current stuff. If you have the money and the room to appreciate it, by all means go for it.

Check out Consumer Electronics www.ce.org or Custom Electronics Design & Installation Association www.cedia.net for information on what's to come or current trends.

As for Pauls advice on the bathroom, go for the portable... more money for your system.

Remember, my advice is worth what you pay for it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1071
My theater is only 20x25 and hardly half a house. Definitely go with 7.1 sound though because it makes a big difference with only a very little expense.

There is no need to go overboard on expense because all you really need are inexpensive wall mount speakers in the back. My back speakers only cost about $160/pair plus the cost for 12AWG speakerwire at Lowes was only 35 cents a foot. If that's enough to break the bank(as phil suggests), you'll probably want to stick with the 20" black and white TV and forego the theater.

As for Phils financial planning advice, I'll have to agree. If you arent able to buy your 'toys with a check, or at least pay off your CC balance each month, you should show more discipline and only buy what you can pay for:-)

I pity the fools who let their credit card debt take control of their lives.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us