Simple Tech Question - 2nd Channel - Volume Control?

Username: Griffin_andrews

Post Number: 5
I'm wiring my basement and have run lines for a secondary pair of speakers in an area separate from my HT area...to run off my receiver's second channel.

Question is: Do you have to insert a volume control between the receiver and speakers in the second listening area? If so, is there a brand name VC / I should consider? Is there some impedence issues to consider as well?

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 197
Griffin

Hallo there

This is a nice remote fader from the makers of Dolby Stereo and digital look down the page for remote faders.

Look for remote controls
http://www.fproj.com/used/processors.htm

And if that doesn't work buy a real cheep AVR with Dolby digital and dts connect an optical lead or coaxial lead from the main AVR and run it from room A to the room B and use it has a remote fader plus more!

That's' all I can suggest for now hope you can resolve the resolution out and work out what your hoping to achieve.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3896

Ashley's idea is a good solution, though not what I think you were expecting. Separate amplifiers for remote areas are always the best solution, but they can be a bit more expensive (and possibly confusing to operate) than a simple VC.

Yes, you have to place a volume control (and typically an on/off switch) in the speaker line. What brand is a matter of what you find in your price range; an impedance matching VC is advisable. Since I don't have any idea what load your amplifier will have to work into, I can't tell you any more about impedance issues to consider.

Post Number: 6
I have an Onkyo 7.1, 75 WPC receiver with a powered second channel. All HT room speakers will be 8 ohm, as well as the separate pair in the secondary "game" room.

I was planning on wiring the separate speaker set into this channel but, wasn't certain if I needed a volume control in the second room or not.

Without purchasing a second amp etc, I figured the powered second channel was an effective way to play DVD in HT room while also being able to simultaneously play AM/FM etc in secondary game room.

I guess I need to grab a VC and install it between the receiver and speakers. What is the purpose of the proposed on/off switch in line? Does the speaker info help with the impedence question?

Post Number: 7
Dang it, I meant 85 watts per channel!

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 97
Check the manual with your receiver, if it has an A/B speaker output then it should already be what you need. (Onkyo provides B speaker connections as STEREO/MONO only, so no surround features)

If you dont want to walk into another room to control volume in the game room then consider adding a VC as the others have suggested. Check out the one found here. (Pay attention to the wattage if your doing a lot of head banging)

http://www.smarthome.com/8262.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us