Newbie - Denon 2805/ Not Loud out of Surround Speakers

Username: Lfty007

NW Suburbs, IL USA

Post Number: 2
Just purchased Denon 2805 reciever and have it hooked up to Bose Acoustimass 6 speaker system. It seems when I play DVD's, (Toshiba DVD recorder) I have to crank the volume to -20db, to get decent sound out of the Surround system. This unit is 120 watts per channel and I can't believe it needs to be turned up that loud to get decent sound. Output of DVD Recorder is set to "Bitstream". Input of Receiver is set to "Auto" for correct Decoder assignment .

My old JVC (non-digital) 75 watts per channel, had much more power on the lower end. I feel I may have missed something in the Speaker Set-up. I am using an "Optical" cable between the 2 units.

Any thoughts on what setting I may need to adjust in the receiver, or Bose system set-up, to make the sound really kick at much lower "db's"? I used the Microphone that came with the receiver to do the initial set-up if that is any help!

Thanks for any information anyone can provide!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1038
Just a couple notes......

Your receiver might have a DVD volume trim that you can adjust up if you dont like having your master volume turned as high. Also, the 'Auto" doesnt always work correctly and you'll want to make sure the back speaker is showing as activated. Your receiver should have lights or an information page on the menu so that you can verify that it's correctly sending the 6.1 channel output to the speakers.

Im not familiar with your Bose speakers, but when my receiver is turned up to -20db, its nearly as loud as a movie theater.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us