Help me place my speakers?

Username: Danwink

Post Number: 1
Hello all!

Thanks for a great forum.

I have a couple of questions for my speaker placement.

I convinced my wife to allow me to set up the surround system in our living room provided we use in wall speakers.

I purchased them (Polk RC65i and RC60i) and a CS2 center channel today.

Here is the question, I originally had planned to place the front channels in the wall behind the TV (rear projector), however I have a couple of limitations-- mainly that due to an archway I would need them to be about 7' off the floor. This would also place the front channels further away from my ears than the center channel.

Would it make sense to mount the front channels in the ceiling (8') and maintain the same difference from center channel to L&R (the polks do have aimable tweeters) or place them behind the TV?

Secondly,

My surrounds would ideally be in the back wall, however I have a door on the wall that would limit the width of the rear a bit. Does it really impact sound quality a lot to mound them in the ceiling w/ the tweeters firing into the back wall of the room?

Username: Danwink

Portland, ME USA

Post Number: 2
BTW... the TV area is about 13' x 13'-- however it is open to the kitchen so the room is not really square for accoustic issues...

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 340
Dan,
Personally, I would stick with wall mounts all around--even if it means the front mains are much higher than the screen. I would also mount the center speaker down closer to the center of the TV screen. That way the dialogue isn't so far removed from the video.

Can the surrounds be installed on either side of the seating?

Upload

Aim all tweeters toward the viewing area.

My 2¢
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us