Fixing Vibrating Picture frames

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 997
What have people done to eliminate vibrations from objects hanging on the walls??? I was thinking about attaching little rubber nubs on the back of the picture frames to attempt to quiet them down. Do you think that would help much????

I realize that Ideally, nothing should hang on my walls, but Im not sure that I want to take such drastic measures. I'd like to find a happy medium by treating the offending picture frames.

Any thoughts??

Bronze Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 91
BLU TACK it's cheep and works wonders

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
Ahhhh.....great advice. I would have never thought of that. Maybe I'll pick some up this afternoon.

I like the idea of using that stuff. Hopeufully, it will quiet down the walls.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
you bet

ashley

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3830

The real answer is to have some padding placed on your walls. The hard surfaces are a disaster when it comes to reflections from your speakers These reflections muddy the sound and contribute to fatigue when listening. You will be suprised if you have a 3/4" to 1 1/2" pad put on your walls (side walls are crucial) at the articulation and sense of dynamics your system can accomplish when these reflections are minimized. The room becomes noticeably more quiet and the hifi seems to have been upgraded by ten fold. At least treat the first reflection points and the area behind your head if you sit close to the rear wall. Treat with anything from batting to acoustic panels and you will notice the improvement immmediately if you do this job properly. If you still want to hang pictures on these walls, you can place a small crown molding at the top of the walls and hang pictures from this as they did at the turn of the 20th century.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/62252.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/46957.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/10898.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1006
That sounds great, but it has nothing to do with the origional question.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Paul

Hi there

Did you get some very inexpensive BLU TACK?

As to vibrations is you centre channel loudspeaker placed on top of your TV, as this can curse vibration into the TV monitor which acts as a resonant chamber!

And frequencies around 100Hz are common at high SPL sound pressure levels, and some cheep BLU TACK for around £2.50 goes a long way and boy does it stick!

I have encountered vibration on my TV monitor with snare drums and heavy ADR automation dialogue replacement on narration tracks like in terminator 3 which is warm sounding and with the active X-over 2-way I'm using for the centre channel as given a whole lot of sound reinforcement and was a pig to fix and though BLU TACK is a dame useful thing, I had to use some cloth which I rolled up to double the thickness and placed the JBL control 5 on top of shorted.

Though this is not a bad idea I will be making a THX sound wall this late this summertime and with a sound stage just a few mm above the TV monitor this is going to help in a major way.

Also vibrations in the room are only heard though some of the fixings in the floor which really happens, as for the window that is sound!

A light fixing always buzzes and it's down to the SPL and the frequencies, if you what to find these gremlins hear is something, go to this web site and play these sinewave tones,

This not Dolby digital just analogue also use extreme caution when playing them go though the Hz tones not the KHz ones as these really vibrate or curse buzzing sounds within the room.

http://www.snapbug.ws/sinewaves/

Play this into the aux input over in Dolby pro-logic as this signal is mono not stereo.

Start with the lowest volume fader level on your AVR say -30db on the AVR if going from the pc make sure you don't overloud the analogue input by cursing clipping.

Turn of the sub bass as this will be the last part of the process to do.

Each tone play over and over, and raise the master fader by 2db this will take time I Kidd you not, most sound engineers setting up a multiplex cinemas like the last one I worked for, Warner village cinemas UK, the setting-up took around two days for each of the12 screen cinemas, now then, play the tones and make sure as well you don't expose you hearing to it for to long a period at high SPL when you hear something buzzing it will be dame difficult to locate walk around the room until you find and deal with it.

Then play the same tone again and play it 2db louder got that so far, like I said this will take time but the end result will pay off.

Ashley

P.S. when you have finished with the centre channel unplug the left channel and the signal will be sent too the right loudspeaker set the master fader at -30db and go though the process again and when the right channel is done plug the left channel in leaving the right channel unplug and go through the process again.

Now plug both inputs into the aux input left and right turn of all the front channels by unplugging the loudspeakers left centre and right the signal is not out of phase and should not be heard much on the surrounds, play the tones one the sub bass and your all most home mate,

Wow told you it would take while, if you run in to any difficulties leave a post and I'll get back to you.

Good luck

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1008
No Tak yet......

I'll pick some up before long and give it a try though.

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us