Confused on set-up

Username: Rolls14

Post Number: 1
Im trying to set-up surround sound. The problem is my tv does not have any coaxial or Optical only RCA. Tv is a RCA 52w20. Running to a Onkyo TX-SR502(B). I have 5 speakers plus a sub. If I just run it from the rca cables to the receiver will it play in surround sound. Sorry I don't know much about home audio.

Bronze Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 81
Adam.

Hi there.

And welcome to my world.

Is this the Onkyo TX-SR502B that you are running http://www.gadgetdigger.com/s/Stereo_Receivers/ONKYO_TX_SR502B_6_1_Channel_Home_ Theater_Receiver_BLACK_REFURBISHED_B0006VGZDE.jpg

As this is the only image I can find of it.

As to setting up read the manual and this is the reason that for most people who don't read manuals, you will have it set-up within a few hours,

I don't mean to be rude but professional projectionists and sound engineers don't ask online all the time about how to set-up a Cinemeccanica 35mm projector victory V, or a Dolby CP-500, please read the manual you will learn about what you are using and will understand its functions too that is what I have al ways done without asking a simple question, but if you want an answer to the question no you don't need to connect a video composite lead from the Onkyo TX-SR 502B you will see it on the back of the AVR, take a long lead from where the AVR is to the TV monitor and plug it into the TV.

As for the VCR and DVD pug the rca phone stereo leads into video input for audio and if you have a scart lead that is not will not go into a AVR, so you will need one that has a phone rca connection on it this will then plug into the AVR rca phone video input as for the DVD plug the rca into the AVR DVD video input looking at the diagram on the manual will help a whole lot better.

If your TV has S/video input and most DVD players have S/video output on them and if the Onkyo TX-SR 502B as got an s/video input plug the DVD into it via an s/video lead and another s/video lead coming from the Onkyo TX-SR 502B output to the TV's S/video input this will give a better image over the composite video signal, remember to go into the DVD menu to set-up the video output to S/video and enable it to on.

Got that so far I hope any way don't rush it and you will have a fantastic time watching and listening to the six-track Dolby stereo digital experience which is what DVD is all about.

Good luck

Ashley

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 998
Adam,
Your TV doesnt need coaxial or optical in/outputs, however both your receiver and dvd player does.

You need to connect DVD audio directly from the DVD player into the receiver via digcoax/optical to play in 5.1 surround.

Running composite cables out from the TV to the receiver is 'incorrect' because it will only send a 2-channel signal.

Username: Rolls14

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the information. I figured out what I need to get. Thanks again.
Adam
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us