Archive through February 24, 2005

Marco Esquandolas
Unregistered guest
Anyone have any experience w/ www.orbaudio.com? A friend saved me this week from making the mistake of buying Bose. I'm almost definitely buying their speakers but wanted to see if anyone has experience with them.

Unregistered guest
Did you get a response to this request I would be interested to know more on alternatives to Bose

Username: Bose_boy

Post Number: 2
Yeah,get the Bose.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 333
Marco,
did you buy the Orbs yet?
What are your views?

Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 7
I've got an Orb Mod2 stereo system and totally love it. It is way more than a Bose alternative. It is by far the fullest sounding sub/sat system I've ever heard. Great highs, midrange and lows. Most other sub/sat systems usually seem to give one of those up. The craftsmanship on the speakers is really top notch, too, as is the customer service. Check out the thread over on the Speakers message board: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/9496.html

Anonymous

Seems as if Monologue works for Orb and is using this forum to promote the product. Clever but somewhat sleazy.

Anonymous

It's official...every time someone says anything good about a product, they are accused of working for the company.

Unregistered guest
Been looking for some time for a high end and small stereo system. Stumbled upon Orb Audio. Bought it LOVE it. You get to interact with the owners... guys with a vision who love what they do, and are happy to share a wealth of information with you on line and on the phone. No hard sales, they love what they do and it is reflected in the quality of the product. The way the website takes you thru the process of decision making is what sold me initially, and although i have not had a chance to test or hear the actual performance in advance, I still took the chance.. ( i am a sceptic by nature too ) and I am happy i did.. and NO i dont work for the co... never even heard of them till 3 weeks ago.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1022
Well done, David! This board could a use more positive experiences.

cheers

Anonymous

The Orbs cost a lot less and sound a lot better.

Anonymous

I don't work for Orb Audio. However, I purchased their speakers (the Mod2 and subwoofer) and I can say that they are one of the few products I own where the sheer quality of the product (sound, in this case) actually surpassed my expectations upon first listening to them (and I had very high expectations, given the positive reviews I read before buying them). And it continues to do so. Everytime I listen to them, I am amazed by the clarity. I would seriously recommend these speakers to anyone looking to upgrade their sound. The quality-to-price ratio for this product is unmatched in my opinion.

M-gear
Unregistered guest
I have not herd of Orb Audio before so I checked the site, and the speakers look very much like the Anthony Gallo micro speakers. So its not an original design, but maybe the sound is the same or better?......not sure of what to buy Orb/Gallo?

M-gear
Unregistered guest
I have not heard of Orb Audio before so I checked the site, and the speakers look very much like the Anthony Gallo micro speakers. So its not an original design, but maybe the sound is the same or better?......not sure of what to buy Orb/Gallo?

epic
Unregistered guest
Haven't heard the Gallos, but the Orbs have super imaging and I love their subwoofer. Very deep and tight. Their business model suggests that they should be similar quality to the Gallos, just at a direct price.

Username: Ahuja784

Houston, TX USA

I just bought orb mod1 with center channel upgrade.
I am very happy with them. I have friends who have bose. I frankly dont know what is wrong with bose.. but i am very happy with ORB. above it they look really nice in ur room and their service is just above awesome.

AJS
Unregistered guest
I've got a Denon 3805. How will the Orbs sound with it in a home theater set-up?

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 42
My friend has the 3805 and bought the Orbs on my recommendation. They sound really good with that receiver, although it has waaaay more power than you need to play the Orbs at even incredibly loud volumes. He's got the Mod2s in the front channels...

Unregistered guest
I just purchased ORB home theater speakers (w/o sub. because I already had a sunfire junior sub), 3 Mod2 for front R & L, Center and 2 Mod1 Rear R & L. I really love this system. Sound is completely better than Bose.
First, I ordered only Mod2 Quick Pack, 2 Mod2 (I do it because if I don't like it, I can return with less courier charge) and compared w/Bose Acoustimass 5 speakers that I had. After I compared head to head, ORB speaker is more clarity than Bose. As a result, I ordered the rest for my home theater system.
Beside better sound, we can choose either Mod1 or Mod2 to setup a complete home theater like I did. Hope my short comment will help you.

Boseout!!
Unregistered guest
I have owned Bose LS 25 sytem. "Supposedly upgraded" to LS 28 a year later. Then after a year , I got rid of and bought 701's(FRONTS), 601's(REARS), & VCS 10. They sounded good to me untill I started reading about the bose lovers and bashers. What caught my eye (or opened them and my ears) was when someone said the 601's sounded better then 701's. So what did I do? I put them side by side and to my surprise they did!! So it started to get me thinking. although I liked the towers better because they sounded better and more powerful for music. Wife decided she hated the towers and wanted little speakers again, so I was going to sell and get the accoustimass 16's till I ran across Orb audio. I bought the Mod2 L/R & Center and Mod1 LS/RC/RS 6.1 with the super eight. Holy Smokes!!! I thought Bose was suppose to be the bomb! Shows you what I know, but my Orbs Blew any of my previous set ups away and costed way less!!! I couldn't believe how much tighter and deeper the bass was. And yes!! I finally had mid's. Even my Bose towers lacked mids- very tinney sounding. And you have all heard it before, but yes, the customer service is A++++++. If this were ebay they would have 1 zillion positive feedback. You will not regret these speakers if you decide to give them a try.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I've owned the Bose Lifestyle 48 and the Orb Mod1 system and the Orb system is quite a few steps up from the best that Bose has to offer. The speakers sound better, the subwoofer is a real subwoofer, and they are metal and look great, not cheap. Anyone considering Bose should stop and take a look at Orb. I can also confirm their customer service was superb. I forgot what it's like to actually be able talk to people that are involved in the company beyond just answering customer service calls and reading a script.

Judd
Unregistered guest
OK..I have the Orb setup (combo of Mod1 and 2's) and my father has the Gallo's. We are using identical receivers (denon) and dvd players (pioneer) and I have to say this: They sound pretty damned close. Orbs handle mids with a warm feel, as opposed to Gallos, but the Gallos have a better soundstage overall. Here is the real kick...the 800-1000 dollar gallo sub STINKS! The Orb audio sub is outstanding at $400!!! Just incredible. So, to me, I feel like Gallo is diminishing returns on my investment, and endorse the Orbs. As for BOSE, good stuff, but no where NEAR worth the money, and their shady subwoofers bother me. Try the Orbs, and remember, the speakers are only part of the battle...you need quality everything else to really understand their potential. ENJOY!

PS. The guys at Orb deserve your business...they are wonderful! From advice (which led me to look at competitors) to honesty about the product to over all experience, these guys were great. Call them to see for yourself...they won't try to sell you ANYTHING, but rather simply advise and assist. It was refreshing.

Miles
Unregistered guest
Has anyone compared the Orb system to the Mirage Omnisat system with subwoofer?

I have heard the latter and found it delivers a huge soundstage with clarity and without harshness; better than Bose, I believe, though I could not compare them side-by-side. The technology ("omnipolar") appears to allow a lot of flexibility in placement. The subs are a bit bigger than the Orb subs. As with all smaller speakers, I wonder about the lower mid-range and was curious how the Orb speakers perform there.

Username: Jwilly1

Post Number: 1
I have not heard the Orb speakers yet, however I recently purchased a Klegg system from the good guys, and I am absolutely in love with the system. I compared them to both the bose system and the gallos and they simply outperformed them in every aspect. Great clarity, excellent "non-boomy") bass, and wonderful warm mids. And they also have a really cool design.
http://www.kleggusa.com

Varit
Unregistered guest
Those are a bit more odd looking than the Orbs, but still OK looking I suppose. Dealers mean markups, though, which is a big difference.

Varit
Unregistered guest
By the way, this is the only message board that I participate in where people actually understand the concept of a thread and you have threads on the same subject running for months or a year, and not a bunch of identical threads asking the same thing all the time. It really does make it so much easier to use.

Unregistered guest
I have just purchased the Orb system and am extremely pleased with the sound, particulary the subwoofer. These speakers replace a Bose system, which does not compare in quality. The customer service at Orb is outstanding. They were able to fashion a workaround in the wiring so that I could use the same wires that I had used for my Bose system.

AlphaAccoustic
Unregistered guest
I purchased the Orb Mod 2 System and then upgraded to 7.1 with two more satellites. All of this powered with an Onkyo TX-NR901. I will admit that I was a Bose fan, but since this purchase, I will never look, or listen back.
It blew away the Bose system I had before. I would tell anyone looking at Bose for a Home Theater System to stop what they're doing and go to Orb Audio. It produces the full range of sound that my Amp is putting out, not leaving out midrange and lows like my prior Bose system. I was most impressed with the sub. It's tight, but not boomy, and was putting out lows I wasn't hearing with my previous Bose system.

Unregistered guest
I purchased the Orb Mod1 with center upgrade for my husband for Christmas. Although he doesn't know and the speakers are wrapped up in the box - I did hook up two of them (left/right fronts) with my brother's system just to get a glimpse of how they sound....phenomenal!!! I am amazed at how much sound can come out of something so small. I really can't wait to get it all hooked up....they are such neat looking speakers....the sub comes today. Once they are hooked up I will let you know what I think...so look for a post after Christmas. And....yes, the service was outstanding.... By the way, I will be installing these with an Onkyo 502 receiver.

tobias
Unregistered guest
Couple Qs about Orb audio:
Do the owners of the system really feel the high end is truly adequate? This is a tweeterless system- just a single (or double) 3" full range driver is being asked to cover the high end as well as the mids.
Does it appear that they could be a patent infringement on Anthony Gallo? Does the orb product literature list any patents?
Is the subwoofer a sealed enclosure?
Can you remove the grill of the satellites and describe what you see? Are the drivers similar to anything found on the Taiwanese manufacturer "Tang Band" (TB Speakers.com)website?
Please respond. Thank you!

Varit
Unregistered guest
Definitely good high end performance...I think someone on avsforum tested them and they lived up to their spec. Sub is front-firing, bottom port. Satellites don't come apart, as far as I can tell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2094
tobias,
What is it about the Orbs that made you think about "Tang Band"? Does this company make the Orb?

Unregistered guest
I too have been looking into the ORBs, 5 X Mod 2 satelites.

Has anyone compared them to the Mordaunt-Short Genie or the KEF Eggs? Same price range. The Genie has gotten rave reviews from Uk review magazines all this year.

ArizConPollo
Unregistered guest
The Orbs definitely blow away the KEF Eggs. I've heard them both recently and went with the Orbs. Much better soundstage, midrange and bass. Haven't heard the Genies. Probably good speakers, though, based on what I've read. I like the Orb business model, too, and their service was really outstanding (stayed on the phone w/ me for an hour to answer all my questions, shipped same day, received email responses within minutes on a Sunday night at 11pm regarding setup questions, etc.)

tobias
Unregistered guest
I was trying to determine if the raw drivers orb audio uses are supplied by Tangband. They are a OEM supplier from Taiwan.

Are all listeners on this board of the opinion that a one way driver system such as orb audio uses (and Gallo) is adequate for high end detail. Would no one like to see a silk dome tweeter in the system?

vermonter16
Unregistered guest
Gee I wish I could answer some of your questions...I don't think anything from Orb comes from Taiwan...I forget what is says on the boxes but why don't you try emailing them on their website - I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions.

I'm just a poor soul trying to get her husband something nice. My older brother who is an "audiophile"...maybe not quite but almost tested a couple of the speakers with all kinds of different music and movies and he was impressed.

But you really do have some serious questions. These guys...Ethan in particular emailed me promptely every time...and I must have emailed him about 12 - 15 times with different questions, room setup, etc... They really can't get any better with customer service. I think if you are looking for a decent system, give them a shot...you can always return the system.

It sounds like you really know your electronics...I was on a budget with this system of about 1K so I only researched systems within those ranges...and that had to include the receiver as well.

Varit
Unregistered guest
No clue if the drivers are from tangband. They don't say so anywhere in the packaging or on the product. They defintitely have a decent high end, though. I think a tweeter might make them abrasive. They sound very well balanced as is.

vermonter16
Unregistered guest
Just to give you an update so far. The orb mod1 with center upgrade to mod2 have been connected...if simply at the moment. Have not fooled with speaker distance yet since time was short when we did this. However, right now...the Orbs sound great!!! Very, very full sound!!! Not too bright, not too warm...and they haven't even broken in yet. This is just the beginning but once everything is straightened I'll get back to you...but, the first listen was phenomenal.

Username: Kerryv123

Is anyone currently using the Orbs in a 2.1 environment? I am thinking seriously on purchasing the Mod 2 system w/ subwoofer. Then mating these with either a NAD or a Denon all in one dvd/receiver unit. My wife really likes the size and simplicity of the Bose 321 so I am trying to stay with the same concept including the virtual surround. Thanks in advance

Username: Darkoconsuela

Houston, Texas USA

I have a pair of the orbs and a sub in my office for ambient music and am quite pleased. The sound staging and depth is really good, even at low volumes which is rare. I'm thinking of getting an HT system for my home. Cool company to deal with.

SimpleLife
Unregistered guest
I listen to my Orbs in a 2.1 setup all the time, whenever I'm listening to music. Agree w/ Darko...great staging and depth. These things blow away bookshelf speakers and certainly the 321. The imaging on the Orbs is so good, you won't miss the center channel.

SimpleLife
Unregistered guest
I listen to my Orbs in a 2.1 setup all the time, whenever I'm listening to music. Agree w/ Darko...great staging and depth. These things blow away bookshelf speakers and certainly the 321. The imaging on the Orbs is so good, you won't miss the center channel.

Anonymous

Have a large great room (15' x 30')and am considering the Orb Mod 2 system for HT. Do they have the capability to fill it? Are there other products that would be better? Have listened to the Gallos and wasn't sure they would.

SimpleLife
Unregistered guest
I think the Orb sub is up to the task, as are the Mod2s. I have them in a 400+sf room and they are louder and clearer than my last speakers which were easily 10x the size. I have the sub set at half volume and have never put the receiver past 1/3 volume, so I think you will be fine.

Venanzio
Unregistered guest
Novice needs help choosing small quality surround sound speakers with DVD & receiver. Thought Paradigm sounded great til I heard Monitor. Would love to hear the ORBs before I make a decision, but I do not know of anyone in Chicago area who has them. I just can't buy speakers sound/unheard.
Would appreciate feedback on all three speakers.
Room size: 16x20. Budget $2,000. Thanks for help. Venanzio in Chicago

vermonter16
Unregistered guest
Finally got the orbs pretty much set the way they should be...adjusted speaker distances and setup...and they sound great...talk about filling a room!!! I have cats and one in particular is very scared of thunderstorms...watching The Day after Tomorrow and poor Ozzie went through the roof when one of the storms started....he thought it was real! The Orbs are definitely worthwhile... I had the same issue..not being able to hear them but after reading reviews and talking to the folks at Orb I finally gave them a shot. Am I glad I did...and so is my husband. You can always send them back if you decide you don't like them...but I don't think you will. I have the orbs paired with an Onkyo TX-502 and they just sound fantastic...

Cobbs
Unregistered guest
I heard about Orb a few years ago when in school and unable to afford ANY stereo. Today I received my Mod 2 System and am waiting on my new receiver. I chose a Harmon Kardon 3480 2x120w stereo receiver as I was interested more in listening to music than watching movies. Any ideas on how this will sound. This is my first real stereo and I'm excited to hear it.

Varit
Unregistered guest
They are going to be loud, I'll tell you that much.

martyinma
Unregistered guest
Was a good enough boy for Santa to bring a Mod1 system with Mod2 upgrades LF, CF, and RF. They sound superb. I have them mated to a Harman Kardon AVR520 and can't get the volume anywhere near 0. These puppies are loud. The only thing that seemed to take a while to "come-in" was the subwoofer image. After about three days (infrequent use) the bass finally became directionaly imperceptable. I am not an audiophile, nor an expert, but I must say that if you walked blindfolded into a listening room with these things throwing out sound, the very last thing you would be thinking is that it's coming from 4" diameter metal balls.
FYI there's a good reason that these look and sound like Gallo's Nucleus Micro. Anthony Gallo and Gary Pelled (founder of Orb) founded Gallo and developed the micros together. I'm assuming that neither of them had a confidentiality or prorietary info clause ironed out while they were working in a brooklyn basement. Not sure why Gary split and started his own company, but maybe one day I'll get around to sending him an email about it. As for the stands at $300 per pair, just a bit pricey. You can get all the steel to make TWO pair cut to dimension and shipped to your door for $190. The rest of the stuff you can get from Home Depot or Lowes for ~$30. A little elbow grease later and you have some stands. The website is industrialmetalsales.com
These speakers are definitly worth checking out.

Username: Smtpgirl

Chantilly, VA USA

Does anyone have comparisons for Orb Mod1 & Mod2 Surround Sound Systems and the Boston Acoustics Micro System515? I am curious as to how these 2 brands/models compare

Cobbs
Unregistered guest
"They are going to be loud, I'll tell you that much."

Not even close. More like clear and rumbling. Got it all hooked up last night. Orb Audio Mod 2 system running off a Harmon Kardon 3480 running through old Fisher Studio Standard 7 band eq. This thing is way too damn loud for my 1bed apt.

I listened to this with a very broad range of music and couldn't believe how it got sounding better and better each hour I listened to it. Listened for about 5 hours last night, and listening now as I write.

The bass from the super 8 woofer is ridiculous. It's set a little less than 1/3 power and the crossover is set about in the middle. The 64Hz band is set about -8dB on the eq, the receiver bass is at 1/3, and the floor is still vibrating below me with the main volume at about 1/3.

The main speakers are incredibly clear. I have to agree with everyone else in that you hear things in the music you never noticed before.

They are also deceptively lound. Even though the system isn't turned up very high, and the music is at a nice listening volume (not too loud), I can still here the bass AND the main speakers 10 ft from outside my front door.

I will soon be evicted :-)

tobias
Unregistered guest
martyinma or anyone else:
How did you discover that Orb Audio's Gary Pelled was originally a partner with Gallo? Are there any patent numbers on the products?
Thanks in advance

last1chance
Unregistered guest
just bought the mod1 set with the center channel upgrade and tested the front channels out at a friends house. once i got the settings right those little speakers spit out some serious sound. very impressed how much clearity and power such a small speaker could push. note: dont overdo it. i blew one out at max volume. but sounded great up to that moment.

last1chance
Unregistered guest
i understand the concept why orb's cust. service is good, but every time i call i get voice mail and a call back 3 days later. every time i email i get a response 2 or 3 days later. to me that is not the best customer service.

martyinma
Unregistered guest
tobias, here's the link to the story. http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/history.html
Also here's a spot from 1999. These's are orbs. Right down to the 1/4" 20 threads per inch mount in the back .http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/gallo_micro_system.htm
And scroll down on this page to see Gary at the 2000 CES with orbs (I mean micros) in hand. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_1/ces-2000-report-day-2-1.html Gary became an investor in Gallo acoustics because Gallo ran out of cake. I'm guessing that bought him a certain level of use of the technology or at the very least got him on any patents that had not been filed to that point. And I'm guessing Gallo didn't have enough money to litigate a patent if he needed money just keep up with development costs. I'll do some due dilligence on the patent stuff later, but in the mean time, let me say again, I love these speakers. And it is only my insatiable curiosity that is feeding this, not any desire to impune Orb in any way. Can't speak to their customer service other than to say my wife who is not tech savy at all (and who purchased these for me) had nothing but good things to say about them.

Beware
Unregistered guest
@Tobias

Why are you so keen about the patent stuff. Do you want to sue orb or what?!?!?!

I have a bad feeling about this guy. People shouldn't provide him with further information. To me he sounds like a lawyer...

vermonter16
Unregistered guest
Yeah....who cares about patents?...unless you want to sue or you want to make them your own...or whatever... Hey, if he's a lawyer let him do his own work.

I have nothing but good things to say about customer service....always get an email back within a few hours during the day/evening time...maybe they are taking a break now from all the holiday rush.

Wow...they must have been really, really, really loud for you to have blown them last1chance...do you have any eardrums left ;)

martyinma
Unregistered guest
Beware? of what? Knowledge? That's a pretty funny post. Trust me, if Orb was afraid of being sued, I doubt they would have even put these speakers on the market(albeit the www), a five year-old with a three piece suit could make this case if Orb was infringing or misusing a license. These are the same speakers. The relevant patent numbers I found so far are 6,073,723 and 5,828,766. The first one is soley to Anthony Gallo, the later is assigned to Gallo Acoustics. Never be afraid of information. The more you know, the less often you will be snowed by someone else.

And Beware I don't know about you, but anytime I spend north of $1000 dollars on anything, I do my homework, even if in this case it's more about plain old curiosity than determing potential satisfaction as I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

Varit
Unregistered guest
Boy that patent stuff is hard to read through...as for customer service, I received emails w/in a few minutes and no more than hours, and they always answered their phone during business hours for me, other than 1 voice mail that was returned in 1/2 hour or so.

Bronze Member
Username: Earful

Post Number: 51
Thanks for the info, I have emailed Ethan one of the owners at orb and he stepped around the question the first time when I asked if they were in any way connected to the Gallo company and the second time just recently I directly asked him and he completely ignored that question. If you refuse to tell me as a customer whether you are connected in any way then I refuse to buy your product.

Varit
Unregistered guest
If the only connection is an investor that jumped ship, as the researcher above has discovered, then what's the big deal? I would never expect a private company to tell me who their investors are. If Gallo owned Orb, or vice versa, then maybe I'd want a straight answer, but it looks like they just had an investor that went his separate way. From my personal experience, and from everything I've read hear and elsewhere, people seem very happy w/ Orb sound and w/ their service, and that's what would drive my decision to buy. Did you ask the guy from Orb what his salary was or his wife's name or any other personal questions? I'm sure if there is some past history between these companies they want to keep it in the past. If you've ever seen both speakers, they actually look like a totally different design so maybe there's no technological overlap at all.

Username: Darkoconsuela

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 3
I've got to agree with Varit, who cares about what may or may not have happened in the past? I recently purchased a 6.1 HT system for my home after using 2 channels and a sub in my office. As I said above, the sound quality rocks, at this or any other price point for a sat/sub system. I also agree with others who have had a great experience with this company. They even went so far as to reccomend products they didn't sell to meet my specific needs; that was a refreshing experience to say the least. As for patents, in my opintion all they do is add cost, and do little for value, which is probably why they expire in 12 years or whatever. I could not care less, as long as the sound quality and value are up to snuff, I'm satisfied. I'm looking at an Onkyo 602 to run my HT, any feedback on this match would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 37
The comment about his salary and his wifes name speaks for itself. I had a reason for asking and I think people have a right to know. I did not have to know all the details just yes or no.

Anonymous

Darko -- my friend that hooked me on Orb is running the Onkyo 601 and they sound fantastic. I assume the 602 is this year's model and will sound just as good.

Username: Divot

Noank, CT USA

I just purchased Orb Mod 1 System with Mod 2 center channel upgrade...F&R HOSS Stands with CC wall mount...Rotel RSX-1055 A/V receiver, Samsung 5085W DLP, DirecTv Hughes HD-DVR and Sony NS975V SA-CD/DVD finish off the system...all I need now is some free time to enjoy it...I cannot imagine finding any more knowlegable, professional and personable service than that provided by Ethan and Will...sound is so subjective that size and specs are irrelevant to what your ears tell you...you cannot possibly go wrong with the 30 days of free listening...with a total shipping cap of $9.00 you don't have much to lose...try to find an opportunity like this on the internet or fleaBay...other A/V receiver finalists were Yamaha RX-V2500 and the Pioneer Elite 54...auditioned all three side by side for an entire afternoon and was blown away by the natural warmth of the Rotel...getting a substantial discount on the brand new but bit older 1055 didn't hurt not to mention Rotel's factory 5 year parts and labor warranty...our local dealer provides comparable loaners should Rotel need any extended down time...thanks for providing me with such an enlightening evening of reading...I'll have to sleep on the Gallo patent concern for a while since I don't have the slightest idea how it possible effects my listening/viewing pleasure...just one man's thoughts...be well everyone!

Anonymous

Very good data in this thread. I am on my 3rd HT system since 1995. The first two were based on "traditional" speakers -- large. Spent too much money both times.

Current system for over 1.5 years is Pioneer Elite 51'HDTV, D-tv, Denon 3803, "several" dvd players that I have not been satisfied with and the GALLO Micros.

The Micros 5+sub micros were in my large family room and I thought the sound was fine. Nothing to notice but I did miss the feel of the front towers for mid range bass.

The micros and HT system have been moved into a large den that is insulated well with furniture --this is the most undervalued variable in HT. The micros are excellent as a 5.1 system but I am looking for more in my music system.

I might not have my sub set right and plan on purchasing the add'l GALLO sub but this thread has made me review my plans. When I bought the Micros, if I could have purchased the Divas I would have.

If I am smart enough to run my accoutic guitar amp and have a good enough ear to play a six string, i should be able to set the sub. WRONG. This is truly a trial and error process for me. Nothing is more annoying that have the sub identify itself in the room. The micros do a great job as a HT package. I cannot understate the surround sound.

Thanks for all the input from above. I plan on upgrading to 7.1 and will prob. test the Mods for the front and move the micros to the rear. There are several test disks that I use -- manly staples of my music taste but IMHO, it takes time to set the room and a Gypsy Kings disk, over and over and over.

If i can answer any questions about the gallo for you, please let me know. they were purchased online...now to find a "great" single dvd player to go w/ the DENON 3803.

Username: Woodsorwaters

I am now the PROUD owner of an ORB speaker system. I purchased 4 mod1's with a mod2 center upgrade as well as the Orb Super8 subwoofer. Pushing this sound package is a Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver. I played several hours of various music cd's to break in the sub as directed by Orb. Then I selected the first movie to play with this system, the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over DVD with DTS sound option enabled. Simply Amazing! The sound from these small speakers and subwoofer transported me to this concert and I felt like I was there. The clarity and crispness of ALL the instruments played was outstanding. No vocal distortion and the subwoofer was tight and extremely responsive. After listening to this I invited my brother and his boys down to listen and they were in disbelief that a sound system could do this fabulous a job. I also hooked up my tv and xbox to the receiver and Halo2 on this was the ultimate gaming experience and with the tv you felt like you were in the stadium of the Patriots ....Go Patriots Go!! I loved hearing all the background sounds that you miss on regular tinny tv speakers and when someone is tackled the sound causes you to almost feel the pain...I am not into bashing other speakers, but am into telling you that I highly endorse ORB speakers. Great people to deal with and the best sound I have ever heard. You can't go wrong with these folks! Buy and enjoy! And I do NOT work for Orb. Found this company while doing research with google for speakers. I caught a huge break when I stumbled onto Orb... Thanks ORB for an outstanding product!!!

tobias
Unregistered guest
I am puzzled. Why do fine tweeters exist then on high end speakers if the sound of a single full range driver in an orb is adequate? How could a one-way satelite have the clarity and airy detail of a two-way satelite speaker? I find it difficult to conceive. Why do so many manufacturers bulid excellent tweeters into their speakers if they are ultimately unnecesary, as the orb owners are indicating by their satisfaction with the single driver orb?

Good tweeters serve to extend the high end beyond the range of any 3" speaker. If a 3" driver is being asked to cover that high end as well as the rest of its spectrum, then it is doing so with compromises. It should be impossible for a 3" driver to delicately handle frequencies above, 15khz to 20khz and beyond, in any way as adequatley as a silk dome, ceramic, titanium, or ribbon tweeter. Even an inexpensive myler or paper tweeter should do better, as long as it is a dedicated tweeter in a two way speaker.

Human hearing goes from 20hz to 20khz until we become older and at some point the high end sensitivity suffers. Typically this is compensated for when older listeners boost the treble. Did any orb owners find themselves comparing the high end to their previous systems and finding it lacking in that area? Please, someone address the tweeterless point in detail and with frankness.
Thanks in advance

SimpleLife
Unregistered guest
I think the Orbs have surprisingly good high frequency response. I've never felt like it was missing anything. I saw a test on some other forum where someone took an SPL meter and said they were flat out to 18,000hz at least. That's good enough for me. I doubt even 1% of the people on this board can hear "15hz to 20,000hz and beyond." I think the superb clarity and imaging from the Orbs has something to do w/ the fact that they have no crossover, which is the benefit of having no tweeter. I'm sure they don't play the frequencies that dogs can hear, or newborn babies, but I don't need those. Maybe other speakers have better high end on paper, but every person that hears my Orbs raves about them and a few have bought their own sets. Some have even commented on how well they hit the high end w/o a tweeter. If you are curious, get a set and check them out and return them.

Varit
Unregistered guest
No complaints here.

Bronze Member
Username: Earful

Post Number: 54
I had questioned Orb directly about this and was told what frequency range they were but forgot. I believe it was beyond the human hearing frequency but I do continue to wonder about the lack of a tweeter myself. Most small center channels are usually not as good a bigger size one either. While I am not arguing that they are not a good speaker I do know that DTS and SACD supposedly utilize higher frequencies and manufacturers compensated for that. I suppose the only way a person would ever know is to try them.

Noank, CT USA

Tobias has a point only in theory....drivers bigger than Orbs would need a tweeter...Orb designed their speakers to specifically hit the highs and the low midrange that other small drivers were missing...like every good speaker company, Orb is obviously aware of the range of human hearing and successfully designed their speakers to play the complete range all the way out to 20,000hz...once you take a look at the components that Orb uses you will see that they favorably compare to a premium audiophile grade and, despite their non-premium speaker price, are designed to compete in that category...there are big tradeoffs to going from a single driver to a two way design with a tweeter; most noticably, you would lose some of that great soundstage and immersive, clear sound that you hear with the Orbs...there are also tradeoffs to having no tweeter if you don't do it right...I strongly believe that Orb balanced these concerns and, for my listening pleasure, think that I know where they came out...their speakers play all the way out to 20,000hz and have flat response to 18,000 hz...I believe that the avgerage male cannot hear above 13,000hz and only the top 5% of 30 year olds can hear in the 15,000hz range...assuming this information to be correct, Orb has no tradeoff in the high end other than on paper...some tweeters claim to play to 25,000hz which no human can hear...a tweeter means a crossover, and a crossover means detraction from imaging and soundstaging....the bottom line is that the Orbs in every Mod 1 and Mod 2 configuration retain the imaging, detail and soundstage that is justifying their entry into the premium speaker venue...given the enticing Orb price point, an educated consumer needs to compare apples with apples and listen to other comparably priced speakers...this thread actuallt started with Marco looking for an Orb / Bose comparison...for my two cents, there is no comparison between the two...at my age, the days of pursuing audiophile nirvana are long over...this snowy Connecticut weekend has found our family room filled with our teenage son and his friends watching what seems to be an endless number of dvd's on our HDTV HT system...there is not a kid in there who has not been blown away by the Orb soundstage...my normally not easily impressed wife was equally appreciative of the Orb on HOSS stand design...she has long complained but thankfully survived the floor-absorbing size of my MG I and II's, my DQ 10's and a litany of other hungry-man size speakers...I do not work for Orb, have never met the owners nor do I have a negative comment to make about another company's speakers...all that I can add is that their 30 day trial period will provide any buyer with a risk-free opportunity to determine up close and personal just how good they are...you can either objectively spec yourself into auditory blindness or ante up and let your ears trump your doubting eyes...you have nothing to lose but a $9.00 shipping charge...hope this helps someone...think warm!!!

tobias
Unregistered guest
Thanks. I will try them. How does the soundstage compare when you upgrade to the MOD2? The supreme soundstage is in part a result of the single point source design (i.e. no tweeter radiating sounds from one location and a mid-driver delivering other frequencies from a slightly different spot). With the MOD2 you again have two point sources, albeit still without a tweeter and a crossover. How does the double Orb stack affect the image?
Thanks again to all who responded.

Noank, CT USA

Post Number: 3
Very good question...I thought about this before I placed my initial order that would include the Mod 2 center channel upgrade...I remember someone commenting on audioreview.com that a Mod 2 upgrade would make the Orbs "play louder"... perhaps they do, but these speakers are so efficient that I could have gotten this result if I merely cranked up the volume on my Rotel 1055...my listening impression of the Orb Mod 2 upgrade is that the soundstage becomes absolutely seamless and filled with detail...I was so instantly impressed with the rich and accurate sound that I ordered the Mod 2 upgrades for my front L & R speakers...as I'm sure that you already know, so much of what you can expect to hear will depend on room size and dynamics, power source, yadda yadda...my Rotel allows me to program each speaker as either "SMALL" or "LARGE"...this is all about Bass management...I have found that our Orb system seems to perform best by designating all 5 Orb speakers as "SMALL", irrespective of a Mod 2 upgrade or not, and by setting both my Rotel and the super-tight matching Supereight sub at a 120hz crossover....you really need to hear it for yourself to fully appreciate what you will experience...my beautiful wife could not care less about specs, crossovers et al...she does care dearly about room aesthetics and not only finds the Orbs on HOSS stands decoratively-acceptable but actually proudly points them out to friends entering the room for the first time since the HT redo...she also marvels how sound just seems to fill the family room without any apparent sense of directive audio source...good luck!

SimpleLife
Unregistered guest
I didn't notice any loss of soundstage when I upgraded to Mod2 in my front channels. I think the soundstage is excellent and is one of the defining qualities of the system. It is one of the things that everyone mentions when they first hear them, along w/ disbelief at how big and rich they sound. I just spent a little time doing an unscientific "A/B" test switching between Mod1 and Mod2 by unplugging one of the jumper wires that runs between them. I am by no means an expert or even particularly knowledgeable, but when I close my eyes and listen, I hear the same open stage with both Mod1 and Mod2.

tobias
Unregistered guest
What is their rated efficiency and ohm rating, both as single unit, and as MOD2? Is there any marking inside the enclosure on the driver? Do the magnets appear large (ceramic type) or small high efficiency (neo-dymiumn)? Thanks!

Any further responses/opinions to previous questions about soundstage and tweeterless point I'm still interested in. This is a great board!

tobias
Unregistered guest
Have a look at these stylish speakers!

http://www.podspeakers.net/micropods.html

Free shipping though indeed a little more expensive it looks(700 for full setup). Certainly another "Bose alternative." I have in fact heard the larger versions, not the mini pods. Nice sounding. Anyone else heard them too? Quite possibly more interesting, visually, than the orbs. KEF makes a similar product as well, the KEF "Egg" but these look very appealing.

I'm very curious to hear all responses to these.

tobias
Unregistered guest
I'm sorry, those are the KEF brand KHTs

http://www.kef.com/KHT/KHT2005.2/sat.htm

and the Eggs are by Klegg:

http://www.kleggusa.com/audio.html

The Kleggs are a one-way driver system like the orbs. The KHT's however, look like a one way, but in fact have a tweeter mounted actually inside the base of the woofer cone, at the center. They call it "Uni-Q" technology, and it's quite ingenious. I am very familiar with the technology. Please have a look.

SimpleLife
Unregistered guest
Why does it sound like Tobias is a plant for some speaker company trying to drive people from Orb?

Noank, CT USA

Post Number: 4
Sorry Tobias....My speaker research and auditioning has run its full course and my Orbs finished as the King of the Hill...my guess is that you're in the wrong forum if you're trying to build a case for anything but Orb or Bose...as my final thought to an earlier question that you asked, Orb speakers have 89dB efficiency and use a very strong neodymium magnet...speakers tend to get better sound with a neo magnet, especially the midranges that require internal volume to be reproduced properly...that is one of the things that set Orbs apart from many other small speakers...there are a few other driver design points that distinguish Orb speakers such as more excursion than other drivers, a big voice coil, etc...

...should you care, there are some details for you to read at:
http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=7

...on behalf of the growing multitude of extremely satisfied Orb owners(and quite possibly some Bose owners, too) we wish you well in your search and hope that your final selection finds you enjoying your new speakers even remotely close to as as much as we enjoy our Orbs...good luck!

tobias
Unregistered guest
The Orbs, thanks to this board, I will be placing an order for. They are in fact risk free. And I am not a "plant." I simply regret purchasing the Gallo Micros and am taking extra care to gather information before I commit. The audio arts I have found, if you spend enough time investigating them and are not easily swayed, are filled with snake oil salesmen and vague claims, so it takes some sifting through to arrive at a conclusion. I think you will agree this is the case after spendig a few years watching this industry.

I don't think a public board should be reduced to a consensus device that shuns others. I think the accusation that I want to take business away from a manufacturer would make sense if I were another one and only refering others to my product. I am in fact interested in and have made reference to several (Klegg,Blueroom,KEF,Gallo) so if I were a manufacturer I'd be doing my own business harm by presenting so many other competing products. The only suggestion I will make is that it is equally plausible a member of Orb is on this board. They are afterall, a very small and personal company. It would not be improbable for such an entiity to do some positive free promotion like this.

I do sincerely appreciate the responses of critical interested users here and would hope to hear more if they have anything else to say. Please, no more conspiracy theories!

tobias
Unregistered guest
The Orbs, thanks to this board, I will be placing an order for. They are in fact risk free. And I am not a "plant." I simply regret purchasing the Gallo Micros and am taking extra care to gather information before I commit. The audio arts I have found, if you spend enough time investigating them and are not easily swayed, are filled with snake oil salesmen and vague claims, so it takes some sifting through to arrive at a conclusion. I think you will agree this is the case after spendig a few years watching this industry.

I don't think a public board should be reduced to a consensus device that shuns others. I think the accusation that I want to take business away from a manufacturer would make sense if I were another one and only refering others to my product. I am in fact interested in and have made reference to several (Klegg,Blueroom,KEF,Gallo) so if I were a manufacturer I'd be doing my own business harm by presenting so many other competing products. The only suggestion I will make is that it is equally plausible a member of Orb is on this board. They are afterall, a very small and personal company. It would not be improbable for such an entiity to do some positive free promotion like this.

I do sincerely appreciate the responses of critical interested users here and would hope to hear more if they have anything else to say. Please, no more conspiracy theories!

Noank, CT USA

Post Number: 5
Congratulations and welcome to the family...you have chosen wisely...happy listening!

SimpleLife
Unregistered guest
Enjoy the Orbs...

@tobias
Unregistered guest
Hi Tobias!

I'am very interested in your opinion about the Orbs. You appear to be more censorious than many others in this board. So please tell me how the orbs sound - especially in stereo mode!

Thanks, Rudi

@tobias
Unregistered guest
Hi Tobias!

I'm very interested in your opinion about the Orbs. You appear to be more censorious than many others in this board. So please tell me how the orbs sound - especially in stereo mode!

Thanks, Rudi

Bronze Member
Username: Doctor_t

Post Number: 17
Just wondering if any of the Orb owners know what drivers are used in the speakers?
I'm looking for a pair of speakers to use as a computer audio system, and since I have a few amps that I haven't got around to selling on audiogon yet I could always use one of those to drive them. I know the Gallos use Dynaudio drivers and since these look so very similar I was wondering if they use the same exact drivers which would give me a much better idea of what they will probably sound like. If anyone knows, please let us know.
It's always nice to have at least one pair of single driver even if it's something modest like this, I love the lack of crossovers in the vast majority of the sound spectrum, right until the low bass - I owned fostex horn loaded speakers before but I've given up on SETs and high efficiency for my main system for now. Would be nice to have something that wasn't to ear bleeding for my computer room.

tobias
Unregistered guest
Rudi,
Yes, I will certainly return to this board once I have received, listened to, and studied the Orbs. As mentioned, I also own a pair of Gallo Micros so I am in the advantageous position to conduct a hands on comparison of these two products.
The Gallos, after disassembly, revealed their secrets to me, their magical "proprietary SST" design, or something. The acoustic insulation was wrapped in pantyhose stocking and the driver appeared to be of an entirely conventional low cost, mediocre quality design. Absolutely nothing inspiring here. I would be surprised if Dynaudio makes these drivers for the Micros. Seth, how did you determine this? Dynaudio drivers don't look like Radio Shack grade quality (stamped basket, ferrite magnet, paper cone) or do they? Perhaps it's the higher end models of Gallo that use them. I honestly don't know. There were no manufacturer markings and the sound quality is absilutely the pits given their cost ($300 a pr.) and the hype.
I did ask Orb Audio via email what manufacturer supplies their drivers, not honestly expecting an answer to that specific question. They wrote back a nice email explaining why they could not tell, but touting the features of the driver they use...neodymiumn magnet, santoprene surround...all features I am familiar with...and claiming again, it was a proprietary design.
So I will order these within the next few weeks and demo them. If they in fact anything as astounding as many here feel, or actually, if they are merely just better than the Gallos, I will keep them. I just love the look so much, and want to like them, but the sonic quality is critical and I won't sacrifice it for looks alone. If I like them, I will probably be one of very few people on the planet with a set of Orbs in the front and Gallo Micros in the less critical rear surround position. They all look essentially the same, right? Very elegant 4" spheres in the color of your choice.

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 42
why can!t Orb tell you the driver manufacturer.

Are the Orbs sealed so as not to be able to see the drivers?

tobias
Unregistered guest
I don't know the answer. I imagine that it is better for them if the consumer and the comptetition do not know where they source their parts. The speaker is not made in the US. Very few are.

tobias
Unregistered guest
I don't know the answer. I imagine that it is better for them if the consumer and the competition do not know where they source their parts. The speaker is not made in the US. Very few are.

scapesdog
Unregistered guest
I am also on the verge of buying this system. I am torn between the KEF 2005.2's, Orbs but also a setup with NHT's sb1 or super zero's.
Has anyone compared the orbs to the KEF's or the NHT's?
The price difference is not much. I know that the NHT super zeros sound great, I have not had the oppertunity to hear the KEF's except for in the store. That does not really count.
Also, I will be pairing the setup with a NHT SW2P sub and a Denon AVR-5600. Any clue if that will be a good match.
Great info on the string.

PT
Unregistered guest
I would also like to addd my endorsement of Orb.

I have had a Mod 2 system for a month now, and no other audio purchase I have ever made has brought me as much pleasure. I did not need the thirty day trial period. I knew right away that these speakers had a new home.

The speakers and the company's customer service are both fantastic.

Paul T
Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Anonymous

Have the orbs ever been "professionally" reviewed anywhere?

Anonymous

yes
http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review2297.html

Username: Speedracer12

Post Number: 4
Can any happy orb owners give my any advice as to which brands of receivers match the best with orbs? I have looked at Marantz, Denon, Harman Kardon, and Yamaha. Any advice would be appreciated.

Username: Woodsorwaters

Hi SpeedRacer12 Here is Orbs answer taken from there FAQ

Inputs, Inputs, Inputs - What we have found, is that these days, electronics are very much standardized at the mid and low level price points. This is not to say that they are all the same, they are not. It is simply the case that even with very low cost electronics, the sound quality is pretty good. Their ability to send decent sounding signal for the speakers to reproduce is good. Mainly the difference is in the features. The more you pay, the more options you get. The most important of these is "Inputs". Input jacks allow you to hook up your other components such as VCR, CD changer, PC, Dish, DVD, Tape etc. Most low cost receivers and almost all Theater In a Box systems do not have enough inputs to be useful. We find that most have only one or two. We have seen many homes where the end user has the ability to play CD and DVD through their speakers but not regular TV signal or their VCR. This is typical when you purchase a low cost Theater In a Box that has only one or two inputs. Manufacturers do this intentionally so that customers are forced to buy their higher priced, full function receivers. Orb packages a great JVC DVD/Receiver in the HT Express and HT Express2 systems for those looking for a full-featured, high quality all-in-one solution.

If you look above in my first post you will find I use a Yamaha HTR-5760. I have had great results with this receiver. Yamaha has newer models now. So you may wish to check them out. I am sure there are quite a few outstanding receivers to use. And would suggest google search for reviews of receivers to help answer your question. Keeping in mind what you are trying to accomplish ie stereo only or surround sound system and then check to make sure they have all the connections in the back you may require for additional components. Technology moves quickly so try this link CNET has some good advice. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7612_7-5109926-3.html?tag=tnav hope this helps !

Tangapore
Unregistered guest
My buddy just got the Orbs and a Denon 1705 and loves it. I have an Onkyo 602 and am very pleased as well.

Username: Speedracer12

Post Number: 5
Anybody try a Marantz with these? A friend of mine bought the 7500 and he really likes it. Kind of sounds like these speakers sound good with most receivers.

firstentryintoHT
Unregistered guest
Ok, this is my first entry into this area and I have about $3,500 USD to spend on a a/v receiver, universal dvd player, cabling and speakers. I have a sony KDF60XS955 HDTV. Room dem's are 15x25x9. The question is, am I short changing myself with a set of speakers like this? it would be geared to HT 70%, Music 20% and Sat radio 10%. I need excellent WAF too, god I'm already getting the looks on the budget.

Noank, CT USA

Post Number: 6
Welcome aboard...$3500 should quickly move you up the HT ladder...I would recommend that you place your greatest $$$ emphasis on speakers as this is where the most significant audio differences will be found...I have entered earlier posts in this forum regarding my Orb Mod 1 System with Mod 2 center channel upgrade...Front, Rear & Custom Center HOSS SS Stands, Rotel RSX-1055 A/V receiver, DirecTv Hughes HD-DVR, Sony NS975V SA-CD/DVD and Harmony 588 Remote...we have the Samsung 5085 DLP and after two enjoyable months would not change a thing...I highly recommend that you give Ethan or Will at Orb a call...if nothing more, you will get a thorough introduction to current speaker technology...while the Orbs are everything and more that we had hoped they would be, it would be wise to do additional research at home and then visit your local high(er)-end audio shop and listen for yourself...there are a number of extremely knowledgable individuals on this site...ask questions, be open-minded, use the same CD tracks and DVD chapters as you demo equipment, listen well and shop wisely...there are some great deals to be had on dealer's leftover stock...and remember, much of the fun is found in the hunt...good luck!

PS Given my wife's desire for operating simplicity, the Harmony Remote was worth every penny!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us