Textured ceiling?

Username: Square_eyes

Canada

Post Number: 6
I'm having the drywall done now in my HT room and the guy said that a textured ceiling will help a little for acoustics.

Any opinions on this?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 687
How much more does he intend to charge for this work?

Canada

Post Number: 7
It doesn't cost any more as he doesn't need to be as fussy with the sanding/finish as he would for a smooth ceiling.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 305
I did not do a textured ceiling in mine since I did fabric on the walls. You have to think that most of the sound will bounce horizontally and also if you have carpet, spackling the ceiling will do little if any good in my opinion. Go for the clean look of a smooth ceiling with cans or track lights. Most of the time, a finisher who recommends spackle ceiling does not do a bang up job on a smooth one. Just my two cents.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3793

Ask him to texture deep enough to diffuse any wavelength below 15kHz down to about 30Hz. As you can see from the chart, that should give you plaster with swirls and peaks approximately 28 feet deep. Even the deepest texture at about 0.5" will only affect signals at around 20kHz. It would take one heck of a tweeter to be dispersing 20kHz signals broadly enough to send them to the ceiling. By that point most tweeters are mostly very directional. Any surface which is less than 1/2 the wavelength will be seen as a solid flat surface. I'm going to guess your plaster guy is not an audiophile; or, if he is, ask to see his listening room before you OK the Crowsfoot texturing.

http://www.maximacar.com/system_design2.htm

I think the key here is: "he doesn't need to be as fussy with the sanding/finish as he would for a smooth ceiling." If you prefer a textured ceiling, that's your choice since texture or no texture your system will sound the same. It takes more than a few little peaks of plaster to tame a room.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3794

If you really want to begin taming the room sound, ask your plaster guy to do coved corners. Square corners where three room surfaces come together are the single cause of most bass problems that people ignore when they treat a room. A coved corner will ease this transition and smooth the room sound slightly. It will still require treatment, but the corners will have been taken care of before you get into the room. When you mention coved corners you will see how much your plaster guy is interested in the sound of your room. (Hint: plaster guys hate coved corners unless they are getting paid by the hour.)

Canada

Post Number: 8
Thanks all. I think I'll do a smooth ceiling as I feel the textured has a dated kind of look, and it doesn't sound like there's an overwhelming case for acoustic improvement. I'll just add some good sized crown molding; that and carpet & furniture should take care of things.

It's getting closer......mmmuuahahahahaha

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 309
good luck buddy

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 999
Actually, most new homes have textured ceilings. It's the old ones that have smooth surfaces.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 317
Not here Paul, and I see alot of houses per week.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us