Have checked Denon 3805 diagrams but not sure about connecting HT, DVD and cable tv...

Bronze Member
Username: Cindarn

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 14
New equipment and as others have posted, we aren't real good at this... Have Denon 3805, Digital cable tv, DVD, and speakers 2 fronts, 1 center, 2 rears and sub. Goal is best hookup for optical and audio possible. Denon manual has diagram, but throws in a vcr to the mix, and there isn't anything about the digital cable box. How do I connect these? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 341
Ok i have some questions for ya. What kind of video and audio ouput to your appliances have?(DVD Player and Digital Cable Box)

The DVD player should hook up with component video (red green blue cables) and optical audio for the best hook up.

The Cable box probably has s video and digital coax audio so those will be your best also.

Knowing the outputs from these devices would be very helpful

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 342
quick note if your TV does not have component video in then you cant use the component video for the dvd player then I would recommend s video

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 683
Advice assumes tv has at least component and S-video inputs. Connect DVD video to tv using component cables. Connect DVD audio to receiver using digital optical or coaxial cable. Connect digital cable box video to tv using S-video cable. Connect box audio to receiver using digital optical or coaxial cable. As an option you can run analog audio cables (the red and white ones, usually) from the DVD and box to audio jacks corresponding to video connections on tv. This will allow you to listen to those sources through the tv speakers without turning on your receiver. Connect speakers to receiver designated jacks. You're done with hook up.

Bronze Member
Username: Cindarn

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 15
OK, here's what he has done so far: We have LGDVB418 DVD. Video out: he has optic to optic 1 in Denon receiver and for audio he has HDMI to HDMI into TV. The TV is Sony KDF50WEG655. It has component video, S video, HDMI, composit, and RF coaxial. The cable is Comcast cable digital box. Video out is RGG cable out to TV. It also has another hole marked "video" with nothing coming out of it and also another hole marked "coax cable." The cable audio out has holes "to tv" and "to vcr.". (We don't have a VCR at this point.) The Denon AV3805 has so many I didn't list them. Last night, out of desperation, he hooked up the Cable box VCR audio out to the Denon VCRI by RCA monster cable in order to get any sound at all. We have Paradigm studio 100s for fronts and and a sub, and he hooked those up. So far, no center (paradigm cc470) and no rears Paradigm ADP470s are hooked up. We had some sound, but they really didn't sound right to me. I hope this helps. Thanks.

Kahanamoku
Unregistered guest
'TO' TV and 'TO' VCR are just labels! they SUGGEST where the audio data will be sent. you could plug it into a TV or VCR; hell, for all I care you could plug it into your computers sound card! it is just an output socket that wants to have a cable coming out of it and have the other end plugged into an INPUT of some description. it says VCR, so you might as well select the VCR1 INPUTS on the 3805. Provided you've plugged your speakers into the Front Left and Front Right channels you'll get sound by selecing the VCR1 source on your amp.

if you are only going to use the 3805 for stereo audio at this stage, I suggest also using the Pure Direct mode. this will disable power to any un-needed circuits in the amp providing the best sound without interferance. and yes, even the display will stop being lit, so you'll just have to select VCR1 before you enable Pure Direct, or you might not know which input you have selected.

also, you shouldn't be expecting anything more than stereo if you are using only 2 RCA Cables to connect to the VCR1 inputs on the amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 12
Cinda

Disregard all previous information.

The Denon 3805 had what is called Video conversion.

Hook all of your video components to the 3805 using whatever they are capable of.

EG: Hook up the cable box to tv/dbs input using Svideo and coaxial digital to coax dig input.

hook up DVD using component video cables from dvd to dvd input on 3805 Plug fiber optic audio from DVD into opt dig 1 of denon, if dvd has optical dig output.

hook up tv from component video output of denon 3805 to sony tv's first componenet input, usually video 5 input.

3805 will have a block of audio outputs (RCA) one of which will be labeled subwoofer... subwoofer plugs in here from either a y splitter or its LFE port.

After hooking all components up, you must then use your remote and press the "setup" button.

Set the distances for all speakers. set subwoofer mode to + main and crossover frequency to 100unless you are using the zone 2 capability of your 3805 skip through until you see auto station preset and use left button to preset all radio stations you receive. press setup again to exit.

after finishing this, goto each source on the amp, example cd, tuner, dvd, tv/dbs... and set the speaker mode for each.. tuner, cd, tape, phono, should all be set to 5 channel stereo... i set my tv to 5 channel stereo as well.

Dvd should be set to pro logic cinema or Neo 6

after setting all of this up then goto one source on each setting ( example one set to stereo, one set to pro logic, and one set to 5 channel stereo) and press the center cursor button on your remote...

you will see a level setting appear on the display panel of the 3805... it will say RF......0 use the left and right arrows on the cursor to adjust this up to 12... so that it reads RF........12 adjust all speakers under every type of setting (pro logic, Stereo, 5 channel stereo), to +12 with each subwoofer (SW......+3) to 3

Your 3805 receiver will take every type of video sent to it, composite, s-vid, and hi-def or progessive scan component and send it all out of the one component vid output.. no need for different hookups.

Username: Austen

Post Number: 1
Greetings All,

I have ordered a Denon AVR-3805 AV Receiver, In part because I was told that I could have three zones, 5.1 for the main HT set-up, and a two-speaker zone in the dining room and a third zone (also two-speaker) outside.

Since ordering, I have been able to download the manual from Denons web-site, and while I have RTFM, I am still no wiser

Is it indeed possible to set up three independant zones ? From the photograph from the Denon web-site there certainly is the correct number of speaker connectors to have 5.1 and two other stereo speakers, but the manual makes no sense to me what-so-ever !!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Many thanks,

Austen.
Adelaide,
South Australia.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
The Denon 3805 is indeed a 3 zone capable preamp, however it can only power 2 of those zones by itself.

The extra pair of speaker connections you see on the back are the "B" speakers which will always mirror whatever the "A" speakers are playing.

In the receivers setup menu, set the surround back / multizone to zone 3. (it can be set to zone 2 as well, but not both at the same time)

At this point the surround back channel will power a pair of speakers with independant source selection from the main room. Meaning you can listen to cd's while watching 5.1 dvd in the primary.

the third zone (whether you want to make that zone 2 or 3 in setup) capability of this amp is limited to its preamp section. On the rear of the receiver you will find RCA outputs labled zone 3 and zone 2.

The zone 2 output is variable, meaning you can hook a second amp up to it, and your denon 3805 will raise and lower the level of the preamp output, thus controlling the volume of whatever power amp is hooked up to it.

The zone 3 is a fixed output, meaning its output level is always the same.

By setting the receivers multi zone to zone 3, and running its pre-amp variable zone 2 out to a second power amp, you will be able to simultaneously watch a 5.1 dvd in the living room, listen to cd's in the dining room and listen to the radio outside. Or any combination of analog input sources you choose.

Keep in mind that only the MAIN ROOM in 5.1 will be able to decode digital inputs, hense if you want to be able to hear your dvd player both in main zone and remote zone you will need to run both digital and analog audio inputs to receiver.

The question i usually ask after this, is do you really need to listen to 3 different sources in 3 zones at the same time, or would a seperate "whole house" source while the main zone watches something different suffice?

In most cases we simply do not use the zone 3 output of the receiver, and use zone 2 on the internal amp on the 3805 hooked up a an "impedance matching" speaker selector box, with its outputs run to volume controls installed in the walls of each room next to its light switch, controling the volume of the speakers in that room.

I am usually comfortable hooking up to 4 pair of speakers to this channel using the impedance magnification circuitry. In cases where we need to run music to every room, i add a seperate power amp off of zone 2 variable out to handle the extra load.

EG speaker wire path:

Out of receiver> impedancematching speaker selector> In wall vloume control> stereo remote speaker pair.

This way you have a "whole house audio" circuit which can be left running full time, even with main zone turned off.

I usually set the 5 disc cd changer to random / repeat all so that it endlessly plays random tracks from 5 discs. then shut the main zone off on the receiver.

Thus, even with the system off, anyone at any time can walk into any room with installed speakers, walk over to the wall with the light switch, turn up the volume control next to it, and have random songs from their 5 favorite cd's.

bored? get a 200 disc cd changer or satellite radio.

Post Number: 2
Hi Michael,

Wow !! What a post !! Thanks for all that info.

I have discussed your thoughts with "she who must be obeyed" and she has now refined her thoughts !

She agrees that we probably don't need three seperate sources and she likes your idea of running Zone 2 and splitting it to go to the dining room and outside area.

So this would allow us to.....
1) Play a music DVD on the (5.1) main setup
2) Play audio CD on the second zone, connected to the speaker switch and volume controls thus audiable in the dining room and outside.

Just to confirm however, this would also allow us play a music DVD on the main 5.1 setup, and ALSO route that sound to zone 2 and from there to the switcher / volume controls / dining room / outside ????

I have found the speaker switches here in Australia, are the volume controls I am looking for 2 stereo L-Pads ???

Do you recommend any particular brands ?

Given that the 3805 is rated in excess of 100 watts, the best L-Pads (if that IS what I need) I have seen are only rated @ 100 Watts ??
Many thanks,

Austen.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
To confirm, yes you can play the music dvds on the whole house, just be sure to run analog (red and wight rca cables) to dvd input on the back of the receiver AS WELL AS digital audio for your 5.1 processing.

The multi zone does not have its own digital processors, hense it will only see the stereo analog sources plugged into the receiver.

But there will be no switching required by you, the dvd will put out both simultaneously and each preamp section will simply pull from where it needs to without further thought from you once they are both hooked up.

On speaker selectors and volume controls.

be aware that not all monsters are created equal. Make sure that your speaker selector box is Impedance matching or impedance magnification. I personaly like the Russound ss 4.2 for your particular job.

http://www.russound.com/speaker_selectors.htm

On volume controls:

You dont really 'need' impedance matching volume controls, you could get away with some cheapies; since You are getting your impedance matching from your selector box.

However.

That said The long term durability of a russound or niles audio impedance matching volume control is hard to beat, I use them exclusively for my installations whether impedance matching is needed or not just because i know they dont wear out... ever.

I have seen them burn up, get colonized by ants, wasps, or birds But there is always a direct intervention by an outside force, a short circuit or animal that caused them to go out.

I replaced a set of Russound volume controls outside of a house the other day that my company installed 17 years ago... not because they weren't working, but because the plastic on them had become weather worn to the eye.

In your case you can leave the impedance magnification off by setting the volume control to 1x at time of installation.

http://www.russound.com/volume_controls.htm

http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/hpsvc.html

tqh
Unregistered guest
how to you connect the denon 3805 receiver to a toshiba 52hm dlp tv I tried the s video but got nothing... Is that the proper cord to hook it up to see the display on the tv, if not what do you you have to do...

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
tqh

use component video output to goto the TV from the receivers component video monitor output

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
Austen,

One further thought. Since you are going to be in the walls and ceilings running wires for volume controls at this point, you might consider going the extra distance and installing in ceiling speakers.

The end result is a much more professional installation that you can live with. Further, you can also add an in ceiling subwoofer that will fill out the sound, if you were looking for a musical experience as opposed to a "ambient audio" situation.

Here is a link to niles audios in wall/ceiling speakers, pay particular attention to the HD series as well as the OS series outdoor speakers. You will have to pay about twice as much again to get any better sounding speakers than these.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/speakers.html

Unregistered guest
I just got done setting up a 3805 to a 6.1 set of B&N speakers. I also have a second zone in the back yard a set of b&w out doors. I have the zone 2 working the back yard, but I am not getting the rear center channels. Now as i stated this is a 6.1 setup of speakers not 7.1 not 5.1. I was told that this receiver would support this. I am also having some issues getting the receiver to play in anything but pcm, I am not sure the the hell todo. I have RTFM'd till I am blue in the face. This thing is starting to drive me crazy.

Username: Sme0819

Post Number: 5
Michael,

I have the Sony KDF-50WE655 and the Denon AVR3805. My HD Digital Cabel box suppports HDMI, as well as the TV. Should I run an HDMI line from the box to the TV or run all video through the receiver as you've stated above?

I also want to use the "Zone 2" feature to run music outside while watching 5.1 in the main room. How would I go about setting that up?

Thanks

Post Number: 6
Hi Waterkc & Scott,

Just finishing planning my 3805 setup and I'm sure smarter people than me will be able to help you out as I finish polishing my plans !!

Just a couple of thoughts that I have learned very recently...

If, like me, you didn't purchase from a knowledgeable HiFi shop then this is the only place you are going to get good advice !! Disregard anything your sales associate told you, apart from the 3805 is a darn fine piece of equiptment !!!

I now know that the 3805 has a total of seven main amps built-in, and also two spare pre-amps (and a sub output).

So for 5.1 I'm going to be using 5 of these main amps leaving two spare.

These two amps are going to be driving Zone 2 speakers.

Zone 3 comes "pre-amped" only, if you want to use that you're gonna need to bring along another (stereo) amp. If you have Zone 2 in your backyard, there's two amps, so as far as I can see (and I stand to be corrected here), once you got to 5.1 in the main area you ran out of amps in the 3805, so there are no more amps to drive the rear center speakers....

As far as the PCM issue goes, have you selected the appropiate "Digital In Assignment" (Pg 23 / 3-1) and checked your optical / coax digital inputs ??? No idea if this is going to help, but it's just a thought .....

Scott, From what I can work out, HDMI gives a better picture than component, SOMETIMES. However, on the other hand, component SOMETIMES gives a better picture than HDMI, there's no hard and fast rule as to which one is going to be better. Of course, the 3805 only supports component (or upscaling) video switching, so if you find that in your setup component gives you 95% of the quality of HDMI, you may find that the convienence of video switching via the 3805 is worth 5% picture quality.

Setting up Zone 2 for one set of speakers outside is just a matter of running the cable and setting the 3805 to Zone 2.

What I am doing is running three EXTRA sets of speakers, one set powered from Zone 3 (BYO second amp) and the other two speaker sets from Zone 2 using things called Impedance Matching Volume Controls. (Another thing the guys on these forums taught me, Thanks Guys !!!).

Of course, all this only applies if *I* have been paying attention to what I have been told in these forums, keep in mind all this could be as accurate as a Punxsutawney Phils weather forcast !!!!

Hope this helps at least in some small way,
Austen.

Barry Canipe
Unregistered guest
Is it possible to run 7.1 and run a separate amplifier for Zone 2? I've tried everything to get sound and have been unsuccessful. I connect up RCA jacks to the Zone 2 output and connect to my other receiver. All I want to do is run my HTPC music to a second zone. Any suggestions?

Post Number: 9
Barry,
Yes, it is possible to do what you ask.
Are you saying that you have your HTPC connected to the Denon? If so, by what input?
Are you trying to have two seperate sources playing at the same time?
Austen.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1876
If you have two receivers, just run 2 separate systems.

The 3805 cant run 7.1 in both zones by itself.

Post Number: 10
Paul,
Seems like Barry is on the right track, he says he wants to use a seperate amplifier for Zone 2, so it looks like he knows he is using the 7 amps already, and also as he wants to run 7.1 it seems he realises he can't use the 5.1 + 2 modes......

Austen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us