Denon 3805 or 985s

Username: Taskline

Post Number: 1
I just purchased 5 Klipsch slx speakers and a klipsch 12" sub. I am comparing the 3805 to the 985s and only see the power differance. can anyone please advise what unit they would recommend?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 686
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1
Couldn't find specs on the 985 after scanning the above site. Get me to a site or provide info and I will be happy to respond.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Dale, it is hard to locate. go to "jump to" on left side of page. jump to "specialty audio products" then press "home theater series a/v receivers". you will see it right there 985s. it shows that it is new. thanks for your assistance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 693
Thanks. I found it. I have provided a link so that others might review and comment. Will take me a while to do direct comparison but a cursory review suggest more features on the 985.
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=2&c=13

Post Number: 4
you can also find the 985s on the web for under $600. other then power, they look the same to me. thanks, and I look forward your input.

pannyguy
Unregistered guest
Would anyone happen to know if I could use the 985s unit in UK without loss in quality?. Specs say it is 120v 60Hz only.

Alternatively does anyone know of anything similar to this with dual voltage?

I playn hooking it to a panny 50PHDUY

many thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 17
Ok, as strange as this is here is what Denon is doing.

The 985 is absolutely identical to the 2805 but only available in the silver finish. However there is a 2805-s which is the 2805 in a silver finish, but there is only the 985-s.

A comparison of the specifications between the 2805 and the 985 proves to be absolutely identical with the exception of the word "New" in the desription of the 985.

In short the 2805s IS the 985 with a different model number stuck on it. and vice verse

As a retailer of Denon equipment I have myself been mystified as to thier purpose and intent in these 2 corresponding lines.

there is an X85 equivalent for every XX05 model

EG:

685 = 1705
785 = 1905
885 = 2105
985 = 2805

all X85 models are only avail in silver.

all XX05 models are now avail in silver or black.

Also inexplicably the X85 line stops at the 2805.. there is no X85 equivalent for any higher Denon model, like the 3805

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
In regards to your last question about dual voltage.

Denon is no longer making dual voltage switchable models. 240v models are being made for Europe, and 120v models are being made for the USA and Canada

Most unfortunate in your situation, but if you need a 240v model you will have to buy from a denon/europe vendor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 771
Great job Mike.

Post Number: 5
michael, thanks for the comments however, I wanted to know the differance from the 3805 not the 2805. is the 985 the same as the 3805?

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
As i said the 985 IS the 2805 in a silver color.

To see the difference compare the 2805 to the 3805. Less wattage, less features, less money.

Post Number: 6
Michael, what "less features"? the only difference that i see is less wattage. the 985 even comes with the microphone.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
HDCD decoding

DENON Link 3rd (Super Audio CD & DVD-Audio) compatible digital input

True 3 Source, 3 Zone functionality

Multi-Zone Composite Video output

New EL backlighting pre-programmed/learning remote.

None of these on the 2805.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us