Help...no sound from Subwoofer

Username: Clivep

Post Number: 1
Someone please help. I have a Sony STR-DE675 Receiver and Nuance speakers. Recently I noticed movies not having the same thump that they once had (after a re-arrangement of equipment). Check the speakers with a THX optimizer, I found that no sound was coming from the subwoofer. In my setup, the subwoofer is on (as per Sony's recommendations). Is there something wrong with my receiver, or is my sub blown?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 960
Most likely, something didnt get hooked up right when you rearranged your equipment. Double check your connections, and receiver settings.

Post Number: 2
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip. I double checked everything...the sub is just connected via the low frequency cable, out from the back of the amp and into the right channel of the sub...this same setup worked before...any other help?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 684
Some subs recommend using left channel for mono input. Try switching it.

Post Number: 3
Hi Dale,

I believe I tried that, to no avail, but I will go home tonight and check again. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 962
Make sure that it has power, and go into your receiver menus to verify that the sub is activated. If that doesnt work, I'd suggest finding another sub to connect to verify whether the problem is your reciever or sub. When your friend or family member brings their sub for the 'test', have them bring their cable too. Either that, or take your sub/cable to someone elses house to connect to see if it works.

Good luck

Post Number: 4
UPDATE:

I took the sub into the store, and they tested it there...they said the Amp is blown and will be replaced...then they tried to sell me an upgraded woofer...I just said fix the one I have now! Thanks for the advice though.

Tir
Unregistered guest
Folks,

System:
Yamaha RxV 450 receiver
Jamo E 570 Front Speakers
Wharfdale Diamond Sw 150 SubWoofer (Most recent addition)

When I connect the sub to the receiver's subwoofer-out jack, I get no sound, just a loud

hum from the Woofer. Don't know what's wrong, either on the amp, or the woofer side.

The manual says that when you switch on the 'Auto Power' button of the Sub, it would glow

red if there's no signal, and green if there's a signal. In my case the light always glows

red. Don't know what could be the probelm. The connection to the woofer is a single RCA

line to the left line-in of the woofer.

I've tried various crossover frequencies but to no avail, and different phases too. The

phases in the Sub are 0 and 180, and the setting in the Amp is Phase rev, and Phase Norm.

Different combinations have yielded no results. The Bass out on the amp is set to

both--low frequencies go both to the sub, and the front speakers.

As you might've noticed, I don't have any surround speakers. Is that any problem? Please

help.

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 16
Usually a steady pitch hum from the subwoofer indicates that the cable feeding it is unplugged and touching something grounded.

Double check your cable and make sure that it is plugged into the Subwoofer output and not a tape or monitor output.

After consulting your manual for your receiver i notice that the composite video monitor output is right next to your subwoofer output.

Make sure that you are plugged into sub woofer output and not the composite video monitor out, or possibly even the EXT IN subwoofer input.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/PDFs/RX_V450_.PDF

For a further test unplug the subwoofer cable from the receiver entirely and see if the hum goes away, then touch the tip of the cable with your thumb, you should hear a hum each time you touch it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us