DVD with Component, Sound with Receiver, Possible?

Symuser
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Plasma TV and have a HT-667C. I have an Onkyo DVD that has component connection (YPbPr) but receiver does not. Can I use a component cable and connect video only from DVD to the Plasma (disconnecting current S-Video) and connect Audio to Receiver (It is now connected to Digital Audio connection from DVD to Receiver)?

I just want to make sure that it does not require all 5 Cables from the Component to work and of course I do not want to break it.

What is the difference between YPbPr and YCbCr anyway? I have both on the Plasma.

Many thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 901
That'll work fine. Run your components directly into your TV, and audio directly into the receiver. If you're planning on 5.1 surround, you might need to upgrade your receiver. If it doesnt have component inputs, Im guessing it isnt 5.1DD or has optical(dig coax)inputs either.

If you have a plasma, you wont want to use S-video inputs because they arent a good choice for high end TVs.

As for the connections, the other is for a computer monitor.

Symuser
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your response. Yes, it is a 5.1 surround sound system. For the Audio I can use either Digital Cable or Optical input. I have both on the DVD Player and Receiver. The only thing I wanted to do was swap Component Video cable with S-Video cable. I ordered a Monster Component Video cable and let you know how it went. Thanks again.

By the way, I have a Comcast Cable box already connected directly to the TV with YPbPr cable. What solution do I have besides re-connecting the cable from DVD to TV and Cable Box to TV? Can I connect DVD to TV via YCbCr? If not, is there a switching device I can buy?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 909
Your plasma should have several component inputs. If anything/ Id recommend a DVI/HDMI for the HD signals, and then component for your DVD player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us