Help with multi-channel receiver

Username: Sasha

Post Number: 1
I have to go on a bit longer so that I can convey my dilemma.
My focus is on 2-channel faithful reproduction of acoustic instrumental music (jazz, classic, etc.)
I found speakers I want, B&W 704, I like them for what B&W is mostly known for, details. I paired them with integrated amp Rotel 1062 - I know, some will say it is underpowered -- but I have not heard so far any amp that brings mellow and sweet sound to B&W 704 as does this small Rotel. For example, violin or saxophone may sound very harsh and annoying with some amps -- some people call it precision and detail, I call it harshness. This combination gives me sound I like, great soundstage, details, and natural sweetness.

Now to the question. I want to expand this system to multi-channel, I will get B&W HTM7 as central to match 704s, and a pair of some cheaper ones for rear speakers (something from 600 series).
I am also looking for a receiver that will still give me the kind of stereo reproduction I like.
That is where I am in total dark, I cannot find it. For example, I listened to Rotel RSX-1067 and it totally killed all the details, sweetness and microdynamics from the music, as compared to small 2-channel 1062.

Has anyone paired B&W 704s with any multi-channel receivers that give decent stereo performance, and sound as described above?
I read abut Yamaha's Pure Direct feature, so it may be a way to go, but then again some reviews say that Yamaha's receivers are no longer what they used to be in terms of mellow sound they produce, now are focused on home theater and produce very harsh sound, what I do not like?
Any experience or recommendations here?
For the price range, I would not go above $2,800.00.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us