Need to replace B&K ST-140 power with A/V receiver?

Username: G4surfer

Post Number: 1
My Dad is an audiophile who started out with a Hi-fi system in the 1950's and currently has 5.1 surround. I know nothing about this, but am trying to help him resolve his current problem. His inputs are a Sony SACD/DVD player ( DVP-NS500V) and a Thorens turntable (TD 125 Mkll). His equipment consists of a Yamaha DSP-1, B&K pre-amp (PT-3 series II), B&K power amp (ST-140) and Yamaha power amp (M-35). About 30 speakers are connected to this system.

The B&K ST-140 worked well for an impressive15 years. The right channel output was repaired locally in 2001 and 2002 and is out again. His system is for music only and is NOT connected to a television. The question is with what should he replace the ST-140? His budget is $500 and at the age of 85, he won't purchase at auction sites or over the internet. In getting up to speed on current technology, he believes a receiver with 7.1 surround, at least 100 watts per channel, SACD support and THX select processing would be the way to go. Will an A/V receiver overlap/replace some of his existing equipment? He is considering the Pioneer VSX-1015TX but would appreciate suggestions and recommendations from fellow audiophiles. Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 907
How does he connect 30 speakers? I've never seen an amp with that many inputs.

Post Number: 2
Figuring this would be a question, we documented his setup. Turns out he only has 26 speakers connected. He removed 4 last year. An overview of his system is at:
http://homepage.mac.com/pannier/music/surround.html

An approximation of the physical speaker layout is at:
http://homepage.mac.com/pannier/music/speaker_layout.html

We are considering getting the B&K amp fixed by them so he doesn't have to give up his speakers. A new receiver might be difficult to add to his current setup and possibly would not add anything.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3751

A $500 AV receiver will not match the quality of sound your father is getting out of the ST-140. That amplifier has a clean mellow sound from the MOSFET outputs. Any AV receiver in that price range will more than likely sound somewhat thin and fatiguing, even to 85 year old ears.

The receiver would replace the power amplifier, the pre amp and the DSP-1. Not a good bargain in my opinion. Most AV receivers will not have a phono pre amp so the Realistic will have to stay.

Your diagrams do not show how the amplifer output is distributed through out the speaker set up. Is there a switch box? An autoformer to match impedance? Surely your father does not run a 70 volt line transformer.

I'm also somewhat curious about why the Rectilinears do not show similar components. And what is a EZM-2?

Post Number: 3
The ST-140 right and left channels go directly to the large subwoofer right and left inputs. This subwoofer has right and left outputs that go to the right and left Rectilinear speakers and EZM-2 speakers. There is no switch box because the subwoofer has built in the inputs from the ST-140 and outputs going to the speakers. Does this answer your question?

There is no separate autoformer and we don't know if it is built in. There is also no 70 volt line transformer. See for the back of this large subwoofer
http://homepage.mac.com/pannier/music/dsc00034b.html

The Rectilinears have a midrange level control and a tweeter level control. The EZM-2 are speakers.

Thanks for your help.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3761

Your diagram is still quite confusing. There are uneven numbers of speakers on each side of the two amplifiers. I understood the EZM-2's are speakers, but I have no idea what they are doing in the system. It is not apparent what constitutes a "front" speaker. One channel from the BK has the feed going to the sub then to the Rectilinears and then to other speakers that are not the same on both channels. This makes no sense to me. They are labeled "center highs" and I have no idea what that means.

It's not that important really. My answer is still the same. A new AV receiver might relieve some clutter as far as the electronics are concerned, but it will do little else in the way of providing the sound of a separate amplifier. If your father doesn't want to get the BK fixed again, I would buy another power amplifier to replace that unit.

Post Number: 4
I don't understand anything about music equipment. My dad is sensitive when I ask questions. First we will try to get the BK fixed. What companies make power amplifiers that I can research. I've only found power amplifiers for cars when I search. Would those work?

Thanks for your help.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3767

No, car amps are not what you want. BK still makes amps. There are plenty of products to choose from. Adcom, Rotel, NAD. Go here are get some brand names:

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the link and all your help. Will check it out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us