Surround Modes on Pioneer 1014

Bronze Member
Username: Jasperm

Post Number: 15
Hi-

I have a Pioneer 1014 TX receiver. I find the manual is not very clear or detailed on how some of the settings work - was hoping some of you would have figured out some of the nuances.

1) I find that when I toggle Standard Surround modes and THX modes, I see many of the same choices - such as Dolby Pro Logic II, Neo 6, etc. Is there a difference between choosing these decoding algorithms via the THX button and the Standard surround button? What exactly is the point of separate buttons if they choose mostly the same modes?

2) The manual seems to imply that the Advanced Surround modes work with the THX or standard surround modes - does that mean they are added on top of the other modes rather than being alternatives to them? If so, how do you turn off advanced surround once it's on - there is no "off" setting in that sequence.

3) Is there someplace I can find details of how the different surround modes work - when each is at its best, so that I can have some kind of basis for knowing when to choose one over another?

Thanks,
Michael

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 61
To answer one of your questions, since I own this very nice inexpensive receiver also, when THX mode is on, it decodes the same as regular Dolby or DTS, it just processes it thru THX standards, also if THX EX is on, it does 7.1 processing also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us