NEW ROOM - wiring / crown molding

Username: Square_eyes

Canada

Post Number: 1
I'm in the early stages of creating a dedicated 7.1 home theatre room downstairs. The walls and ceiling are all open (no drywall yet).
It is 13' x 19' with an 8' ceiling, and a projection unit will be used.

My first two questions are:

Is it ok to run the speaker wires through the same stud holes as the electrical wiring for lighting & outlets? (I will be using flush wall mounted speakers for the rear and rear sides).

And, does crown molding help with acoustics?

Any additional pointers will be appreciated.

Cheers.

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 86
NO, not only is it a BAD idea to share the same holes, you shouldn't even run power wires and speaker wires close to one another. When power flows through wire it creates a magnetic field that is picked up by others that are close to it. Any large current spike could cause damaging impulses to your amp or speakers.

Rule of thumb is 8-12" separation for standard lighting circuits and more for heavy duty circuits. When ever you have to cross power wiring do it at 90 degree angles to minimize exposure.

If you run video or component cables through the wall as well, keep the distance at max or more. Low level signals are especially susceptable to noise.

bobman
Unregistered guest
No, that's a myth.
Speaker wires can run side by side with power wires with no interference. The same can not be said however about other types of cables (coaxial, s-video) that require magnetic shielding.
And it's ridiculous to infer that two insulated wires side-by-side could cause eachother to "spike". Interference with a signal yes, electrical spikes no.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 90
bobman (an unregistered guest!) has obviously been misinformed and since he wants to blurt out advise this way we'll take it for what it is worth.

Stick with practice, you'll not be sorry.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 92
Here's a little help from the folks at SmartHome.

http://www.smarthome.com/solution90.html

One thing I did forget to mention is code requirements for your area. Be sure you are familiar with any UL rating requirement and inspections required for low voltage. (not an issue in my area)

About your crown molding on acoustics, I think it would have to be pretty large to do anything noticeable. Things like wall/ceiling texture, floor coverings, and door/window openings are going to have far greater effect on acoustics than trim.

my 2¢
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us