Dolby Digital EX or Pro Logic II

Username: Mdogg777

Post Number: 7
Dolby Digital EX or Pro Logic II, Which One is better?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 829
EX/ES are similar to DTS because the disc has to be recorded in that format to benefit.

EX/ES is a better, but you need the DVD source first. I've learned this from experience, and not read it anywhere, so somebody please correct me if Im wrong.

Usually, when I find a soundtrack recorded in either DD or DTS ES/EX...whoah...I start drooling.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 255
dd ex is a 5.1 format which is encoded with a matrixed 6th rear channel, pro logic is the old surround standard of left and right channels with a center out of phase track and monoural surround sound

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 57
Pro logic II is a way of decoding the standard analog stereo inputs into a 5.1 or 6.1 channel surround. Obviously taking something stereo and making it surround is not going to sound spectacular, but hey, it works if it's what you got. Dolby Digital EX is exactly what it says: digital. You need a digital coax or optical output to be able to use this, and because it's digital, it blows Pro Logic anything out of the water. Paul was right about the matrixed rear channel, which basically means it takes info from the two surround channels and outputs into one rear channel. Most if not all "modern" movies at least have Dolby Digital EX nowadays.

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
I agree with the first part, where PLII converts 2 channel into a matrixed 6.1 surround, but Im no so sure about the rest of your comments Josh.

Maybe Im way out in left field and completely wrong because I use the PLMovieIIx decoder as my default decoder for 5.1DD movie sources to output into 7 speakers.

The only time I use the DD-EX or DTS-ES decoder is when the DVD is specifically labeled as such, and only a small percentage of all movies are actually labeled EX or ES. The reason being that if it's not specifically labeled EX/ES, and you use those decoders, sometimes the output isn't accurate.

From my experience, using the EX/ES decoders is best advised 'ONLY' when the movie is clearly labeled as so on the cover. This is just a shot in the dark, but I'll bet only about 10-15% of my entire DVD collection is labeled as ES/EX. I agree that more and more 'new' releases are recorded as so, but they're still in the minority.

Would anybody else share their thoughts on Joshs and my comments???

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 59
I understand what you're saying Paul, what I was trying to say is that most movies that have come out recently, i.e. the past 6 months, have dolby digital ex, if they don't have some sort of dts, at least that's what I'm seeing with what I buy. I have a Pioneer 1014, and I have it set on the THX mode, it will switch to dts automatically, but for any Dolby it will output to all seven speakers, as EX.

Silver Member

Post Number: 843
That's not true because they arent the 'majority'. If anything, they're definitely closing the gap but they have a very long way to go. I think it would be a stretch to say that as of right now....that 25% of new DVD releases are recorded in one of those formats. Higher for the big-budget fantasy and sci-fi movies, but still not 50%. I usually buy at least 2 new movies per week, and many times I'll go several weeks between ES/EX sountracks and I always look. For example, I picked up National Treasure last week, and as usual....I was let down, because it was only standard 5.1DD. I thought sure it would have a killer soundtrack.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us