Setting up digital cables correctly

Username: Bald_eagle

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Samsung DLP TV and upgraded to digital and hi def. I need help setting the cables to the various components. I have a Sony DVP NS50P DVD Player, A Kenwood VR517 AV Receiver for surround sound, and a Motorola DCT6200 cable box. I currently have a DVI cable between the TV and the Motorola, component cables between the TV and the DVD, Fiber Optic cable between the Motorola and the Kenwood, and digital coax between the Kenwood and the DVD. Is this the best was to set it up? One problem is that I can only listen to the TV through the surround sound system, and I would like to be able to watch the TV through it's existing speakers, while still maintaining the option to use the surround sound when I want. Also, it appears that to listen to the TV, I need to set the Kenwood to CD/DVD, and to listen to a movie I need to set it to video, which does not seem to use the rear speakers of the surround system (according to the lights on the display). To watch TV, I can set the input to DVI and everything is good. To watch a DVD I switch it to Component 1. What can I do to fix these problems? Thank you. (JPEG schematic attached)
application/pdfUpload
CCF00582005_00003.pdf (78.8 k)

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 804
Gary,
Use the red/white RCA outs from your cable box into your TV. That way, you can listen to the TV without your stereo.

The problem with your DVD player is because it's only transmitting 2channel signals.(told by the lights). You need to go into your DVD menu and activate DD and DTS. If your receiver is getting a 5.1 signal from the DVD player, the lights will be lit.
good luck

Post Number: 2
The red and white cables did not work for some reason. I still had no sound through the TV. It must be something to do with the TV input being set to DVI, and the TV input for the DVD to Component 1, which is where the R & W cables get plugged into. I assume that if I switch them to Component 2, then I can't use the DVI input.
application/pdfUpload
CCF00582005_00003.pdf (78.8 k)

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 818
Gary,

It should work. Be sure the RCAs are plugged into the correct source.

I have a DVI connection for SAT, and run RCAs into the TV, and have no problems. Somewhere, you've got your inputs/sources crossed. I then have the digital coax going into my receiver for multichannel purposes.

Post Number: 3
I did have the RCA's in the wrong source. The book manual is very confusing.Next question, I do not have PIP, because I dont have a second source. I have been told that if I use a splitter on the cable, I can fool the TV into thinking I have 2 sources. I tried to run the coax from the box to the TV, but I got tow lousy pictures, and a third was the PIP which didn't work at all. Thanks for your help.

Unregistered guest
Gary,

I also have a samsung DLP, you need to hook up your audio cables to the PC audio input. That should take care of the audio. As far as the PIP, I also had this issue. I just used a splitter and connected one to the digital cable box and the other to the ant. B input. Hope that helps.

Josh

Post Number: 4
I'm good, thanks for the help everyone.

kiwi
Unregistered guest
hi everyone i have just bought a denon 2105 receiver running a samsung dvi dvd,with a lg 42px11 plasma,was wondering how do i get on screen display to work from my receiver,as where do i plug the necessary leads in.
thanks if someone could help

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 284
osd will not work with hi def signal, you have to hook up s-vid or lower to get the osd up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us