HT-S670 (or any receiver)/TV Set-up

Username: Mvyvoda

Post Number: 1
I just purchased the Onkyo HT-S670. I have an xbox, N64, Slim Devices - Squeezebox and a Panasonic 32" television i want to attach it to. the problem is with my television; it doesn't have audio out, but i want to play EVERYTHING though my brand new!!!! speakers. i understand i can get a dvd or something with audio out/in but don't like this solution because i don't want a dvd player or vcr or something. is there a device out there that will just allow me to play my tv through my speakers? that is, a device that has the functionality of the feature of the dvd play for audio in/out that would allow me to hear my tv through my speakers?

do i even need a device? did i just set it up incorrectly?

thanks in advance,
mark

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 692
Run your audio sources directly into your receiver.

Post Number: 7
my tv doesn't have audio out.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 534
Running your components directly to the receiver will alleviate the need for tv out unless you want to hear the programming on your tv through your speakers. Do you have cable, cable box, satellite? Please elaborate.

Post Number: 8
yeah, i want to hear the actual television programming (like espn) on my receiver speakers. i don't have a cable box though. i'm guessing i need a vcr or cable box or something, but there's gotta be a different solution. i don't want any of the feature of the vcr (or cable box) other than running my tv sound (for programming) to the receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
Does your tv have an antenna out?

Post Number: 9
i'm pretty sure it doesn't. it's a 27" 4 year old tv. it's a panasonic CT-27G7SDF.

i appreciate the help on all of this!!

Post Number: 10
i'm pretty sure it doesn't. it's a 27" 4 year old tv. it's a panasonic CT-27G7SDF.

i appreciate the help on all of this!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
That's a tough one. You could split the cable, and use an adapter that will convert coax into rca plug. Connect that to receiver, but you will lose stereo. On another thread someone was able to locate a device (believe it was referred to as a demodulator) that was advertised as able to convert coax signal to rca but I can't remember the details.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
alright, well i'll continue to look for that on these forums. if you do come across it, please lemme know. thanks dale, for all your help!

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 186
maybe you could get a brand new tv to go with those brand new speakers and solve not only this problem , but also the itch for new gear you will have before long.

Silver Member

Post Number: 693
Mark,

You misunderstood me.......

If your TV doesnt have audio out, then bypass it. Run your cableTV, xbox, n64 and other audio sources directly into your receiver. You should have plenty of inputs for those components.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
jc: yeah!!! i know... i know!!!

paul: my receiver doesn't take cable tv. it does the other stuff though, and they go into the receiver already. it's the tv portion i need help with.

Silver Member

Post Number: 703
Mark,
If you're renting an old outdated cablebox, trade it in for a newer model for 'free'. That's why you pay that monthly rental over and over and over and over!!!

Newer boxes will have audio outputs that can be connected directly into your receiver. If you have an old dinosaur, it will only have a coax-in from the wall, and a single coax out to the TV. If you have one of those old relics, it's time to trade it in. It's impossible to enter the modern age if you dont update your components.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
paul, i actually don't even have a cable box. but, yeah, that's the conclusion i came to. either rent a cable box ($5/mos) or get a new TV.

thanks for everyones help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
i've continued my question over here. i thought, for organization purposes, it would be beneficial for future reference for two posts.

thanks again all,
mark

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
would an FR modulator work for this problem?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
would an RF modulator work for this problem?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us