I am a rookie and need installation advice for new tv

Username: Carter

Milan, Tn United states

Post Number: 1
just bought a new sony high def tv. do not have high def receiver? yet, but plan to buy one. i have directv and a sony dvd/vcr combo. i have it all hooked up with coax and it works and picture is great, but i bought s video and component video cables and just can't figure them out. are they supposed to be used in addition to coax or in place of coax. i got it going with coax, then connected directv box to tv with s video and dvd/vcr to tv with component video, but the picture quality is the same. what am i doing wrong? or do i really even need these high priced cables? i am new to this forum and any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 509
Not sure what you mean when you say"i have it all hooked up with coax..." Assuming coax is your connection for cable, best picture for DVD playback only in your set up will be obtained by use of component cable out from DVD player to tv component input. You should note improved picture with DVD when compared to standard cable. However, many posters in this forum, most notably David Massey, maintain that DVD/VCR combo units are "crap". If your standard cable signal is the qualitative equivalent of a DVD, then your cable is either extraordinary or your DVD player sucks.

Milan, Tn United states

Post Number: 2
ok. i have a regular old coax cable from the wall to directv box (through a surge protector). i have a s video cable from directv box to tv and a coax from diretv box to vcr/dvd player. and i have coax and component cable from vcr/dvd player to tv. picture qualitiy is same when watching directv, dvd and vhs, even when i disconnect the s and component cables. any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 148
is the dvd progressive scan if so is it enabled?

Milan, Tn United states

Post Number: 3
yes it is progressive scan and i have tried it both with it enabled and not, with no noticeable difference

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 160
then something is wrong if you notice no diff, and you are using the designated input for component no just trying it on the same input, you are switching back and forth inputs on the tv itself and seeing no diff?

Milan, Tn United states

Post Number: 4
i am using the designated component imputs on both tv and vcr/dvd. i dont know what else to do. picture is fine (although i don't know how much better it might could be). i think im going to just get my money back on these cables unless anyone has more other ideas. thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us