Speaker / Receiver Matching

Username: Phantom2

Post Number: 1
Hello all, I'm seeking advice from those of you more knowlegable than I. I'm setting up an entry-level HT system for my family room. I have 2 older (early 90's vintage) floor standing Axiom 3-ways that still sound great. I also have a new Athena Micra 6 HT speaker set.

I am wondering if I should use the Athenas for 5.1 HT only and the Axioms for music only, or use the Axioms as the front left and right and use the Athenas to round out a 7.1 HT setup. Any suggestions? Also, what's would be a good, not too pricey, reciever for either option?

The room is about 19' square (with sloped ceiling if that makes any difference)

Please help, I'm torn on which way to go! Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 604
There is no right or wrong answer. It's your system, so you should experiment both ways and do whichever your prefer.

I'd prefer using the Axioms as fronts, and use the Athenas to round out a 7.1 setup, but my opionion means nothing since you'll have to live with the system.

Username: Phantom2

Post Number: 2
That's the direction I'm leaning, but am not sure if the speakers would sound too "different". I can't test them yet because I still need to get a receiver. 5.1 or 7.1 then becomes the factor...which way to go...fun huh? :-)

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 147
it will sound good with music but when you have imaging in a movie from left to right it will change in timbre, this in turn would drive me crazy and is why I have gone through two surround setups so far. good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 611
FM,
I'd recommend looking only at 7.1 receivers. Having back speakers makes a difference, and if you have the room/speakers for it, you dont want to mess with the 5.1 receivers. Nowdays, there are even several 'entry level' receivers offering 7.1 so price isnt even an issue.

Bronze Member
Username: Santora

Post Number: 11
I spoke with the people at Athena and they don't even recommend mixing their audition series with the micras. I have the micras and I was going to add a single one of their bipoles as the back channel and they said it was a bad idea. The micras sound good but are also very distinctive because of their size. Not only the timbre but the sibilance and volume will be much different with just about any other speaker. I'm adding a single micra surround for the back. PS the micras are great for movie and TV surround but aren't the best choice for music.

Bronze Member
Username: Santora

Post Number: 12
Oh yeah, the Pioneer vsx 1014 is available from best buy, it's a THX pioneer elite receiver m,inus a few really minor features for an amazing price. Works and sounds great with the micras. Check it out on the bestbuy.com web site
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us