Upgrading 5.1 to 6.1 or 7.1 bipole vs. dipole vs. direct

Username: Santora

Post Number: 3
Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to help me out. I would like some advice in deciding whether to upgrade FROM 5.1 TO 6.1 or 7.1

My equipment : Pioneer VSX 1014-TX (THX) and Athena Micra 6.

My use: 75% TV
20% DVD
10% Games
>1% Music

Room dimensions: apprx. 15 1/2' wide by 22' long.

I need to decide SOON whether to wire for 6.1 or 7.1. New carpet being installed (going under the carpet with the speaker wire). Don't want to spend an extra $50-75 on speaker cable and have an extra cord tacked up with no speaker if I'm only going to use 6.1 so NO I shouldn't just wire for 7.1 "in case".
Only flat paintable 12 gauge wire in off-white color I could find was monster (I would be thankful for advice on an alternative to Monster in 12 GA flat white paintable wire) Run is around 40 feet so I want to use 12 gauge.

Rear surround speakers are about 4-5 feet behind listening area. Room dictates everything about 2 feet off ideal placement for rear surrounds. (Don't know if this is a big or little difference)

Right now I'm leaning toward one of the following:
1.one di/bipolar switchable in the rear (6.1 setup)
2.one Athena ASR1 bi-pole in the rear (6.1 setup)
3.one direct radiating Athena speaker in the rear (Another Micra?) (6.1 setup)
4.pair of Athena Micra-6 surrounds in the rear (7.1)
The goal is to provide the right blend of an enveloping soundstage while still being able to localize distinct channels to a certain degree.

I would very much appreciate any opinions any users would care to share on my setup. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 596
If being enveloped by sound is your goal, go 7.1. It's a no brainer because 7 is better than 6 if being surrounded by sound is your goal.

As for your surrounds, technically, they should be even with your primary listening position, and not behind. Only the 'back' speakers should be in the rear.

Do it the best you can the first time, and you wont have to even think about ugrading in the near future.

As for what speakers??.......Only you can decide what sounds good to you. I've never heard the Athenas so I cant help ya there.

Definitely go 7.1................because 6.1 is selling yourself short. Especially if you're already going to have the carpet torn up and all.

Username: Santora

Post Number: 7
The side surrounds are on the back wall toed in a bit and I have to place the rear surround(s) centered between them. My thought is that since it is a realtively small room and the 7.1 is not 2 distinct channels why not go with a single bipole to spread out the sound?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 131
too much going on behind you if you wire it 7.1 and do not have the side spkrs to the "side", go ahead and do 6.1 unless you can put the sides 90 deg or closer to your viewing angle. you will hear a diff in 6.1 vs. 5.1 it has more of a sound "field" than just left right surround sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us