Frustrated with Component Video

Username: Mmmazzar

Post Number: 1
Alright, I hope that someone here has been in the same situation as me. I redisigned my Home Theater system by moving all of my equipment to a closet which is roughly 30 feet away from the TV. I stacked my DVD player , audio video receiver, and High Def box in this closet. To run SVIDEO for my non-HD components, i am using CAT 5 and a baloon to match the impedence back to 75 ohms. To run my component video, I contacted Monster Cable and they recommended using the MV Quad coax for this long of a run through the attic. So I attached BNC Male connectors on each end and ran it through a BNC Female to RCA male, and then from RCA male to an RCA Female to Female wallplate. These are high quailty Niles adapters. I used all Monster cable MV2 component video cables for connections to the individuall components. I am also using a 50" Sony Vega Rear projection LCD TV.

Now, to test the HD sat from Dish network. The picture was beautiful. However, being as Anl as I can be, I noticed a purplish horizontal band going slowly up and down the screen. This can be noticed during some picture scenes and very noticable when I power off the receiver. When I disconnect the component video cables from the Dish net receiver, the image goes away.

So, I contacted dish and they sent another unit, same thing. I spoke with Monster and they suggested that I solder the gold tips to the coax for the BNC male...still no luck. I have unplugged all components but the HD receiver and the TV..no luck. I have borrowed a Monster Power Cleaner Upper, no luck.

I have read about this Macrovision signal that is induced into Analog signals to prevent copying DVD's. I am wandering if maybe I am seeing reminants of this that is probably present in the Dish Network signal. I have been banging my head against the wall on this one. Monster Cable assures me that their component video cable is good for 50 feet for HD service. Dish Net tells me I should not exceed 12'. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try or what could be wrong?

Also, I started using the cheap component video cable that Dish net supplied with the system, and moved the unit to the TV and noticed this same occurance. I then plugged in a monster cable and it appeared to go away or was signifigantly dimenished.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 134
the "noise" must be coming from the sat line in , I got the same sorta prob but my lines are only visible when everthing but the tv is off luckly, I am as picky or worse than you but somehow managed to accept this defect. and just like you I tried everyfreakin thing, I have monster 3's monster stage two filtering even have a dedicated 110 line from the breaker box just for home theater, oh well hope you can deal.

Username: Mmmazzar

Post Number: 2
Ok. Surely I am not the only person with Dishnet 811 receiver that is running component video over 12 ft. Dish net will not help me because thay say that you cannot exceed 12 ft over component video. Are there some resources I could use to show them that component video can be used for HD over longer distances?

Here recently i found the following product that allowed component video 1080i for 30 meters over Cat 5e. I bought the product and found that the purplish band over the screen was 100 times worse. That just comfirmed to me that coax is a superior media to Cat 5. For those that are interested in the product (it looked great on DVD) i have listed it below.

http://www.unicomlink.com/products/ibm_coax_av/A_V_devices.asp

I personally think that the problem is with the design of the Dish Network receiver. This does ot appear to be a resolution induced issue. For instance, the DVD player that I have is 480p and it does not have this problem...just dish network. I am close to asking for my $449 back but need a way to prove that they must have produced a faulty design for their component video drivers.

Thanks

Also, i did unplug the Sat In from the unit and it is still there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us