Onkyo HTS650 questions

Derek
I've read all the good comments about Onkyo HTS650 system and finally bought one. I've also upgraded all the cables that I should have, including the subwoofer monster cable. I'm pretty happy about the performance of the music. The volume setting of 55 is more than enough. When I play DVD (Harry Poter), I have to increase the volume to beyond 68, but the receiver tripped after that and couldn't be reset. So I exchanged a different one and still behave the same. With the third one in hand, I only set it to 65 and it works OK. I dare not to increase further. So, here're my questions:

1) What volume level most people use to watch movies(with dolby digital).

2) What will be the maximum volume level that the receiver can operate for movie.

3) Is it normal to see that volume setting difference for listening music vs watching movie.

4) Also, I don't feel the power of the subwoofer at all, is the subwoofer mode 1 be the correct setting I should use.

5) My living room is open and about 300 sqft, 16ft high, is this system too weak for the room of this size.

6) Any other settings I should try.

Any suggestion will be appreciated

Anonymous
My basement/theater is 400 sq. ft, but with 8 foot ceilings. Music can be played much lower than movies. I routinely run movies at 68 with no problem, and ran the pod race of Phantom Menace at 72 without any problems. Sounds like your receiver may be defective. I'm afraid to run it louder due to my windows. :) The sub has an additional volume setting on the back - have you adjusted that? Also, have you calibrated your speakers per the manual? I know that some dsp modes do not activate the sub - make sure you are not in those. My sub shakes the walls in LOTR on the dd track, and in Harry Potter in DPRLII, so the power is certainly there. Good luck.

po
I've got 20 foot ceilings in a very open living room thats about 20x20 or so and the 650 has more than enough power. I watch movies between 60 and 70 usually. To demo the power for my friends I might turn it up to 75-80 which is too loud.

I think I use the sub mode which sends only the LFE channel (the ".1" channel of 5.1 or 2.1 digital) to the sub. I can't remember the number but its in the manual somewhere.

po
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us