Christmas Gift for Boyfriend - Help a Girl Out

Anonymous
I started with the Klipshe KLF10 floor models and Yamaha RXV2300. Figured I could get the other speakers later. Then I keep reading and reading and the confusion builds.

Some say the Onkyo receiver TX-DS797 (do like that you get an extra channel) is better than the Yamaha so I figured I would go with that and an Onkyo DVD/CD changer. Like the multi-source abilities of these receivers. Looking to stay under $1000.

Now the speakers. Looking for good surround sound speakers with the ability to make me feel like I am in the movie. I want to feel the plane fly over the house. Leaning towards towers in front. I get caught up in that the Klipsche is not famous for the midrange or the real highs. I want music to sound good but it does not need to be perfect. We listen to a range of music but I would say opera is out.

I want speakers that can handle turning it up but I am not holding an concerts at my house anytime soon. The room is about 12 X 22 so I know I need something decently powerful.

I am getting really educated to the OHM and decibals and all that fun stuff. But it comes down to what speakers deliver in a larger room with relatively clear sound within a decent price. I paid $550 for the Klipsche but can return them if needed. I am not attached to them yet. Don;t want to spend more than $800 for two towers and figure the price of the rest of the speakers will be relative to the towers.

So what says all ye smart surround sound gurus.

TO: ANONYMOUS

After extensive research and listening, me and my brother decided on the following combination / configuration of an excellent home theatre system:

KENWOOD VR-6070 THX Select Receiver
JBL SCS-150 speaker system

Please look at this thread:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/624.html
for excellent follow-up in regards to the above equipment and also please listen to these units for yourself.

sincerely yours, Michael

TO: ANONYMOUS

I looked at the Onkyo website and noticed that your model number is last years...the current model line is ONKYO TX-SR800 for the same M.S.R.P list pricing. This new receiver is even a better seven channel version then the older six channel.

My recommendation is to always check-out the manufacturers website for the best available new models so you purchase the best available at the time of purchase.

Anyways...I still stand on my previous post to you that the KENWOOD has the most RIN (return on investment) you can buy for every penny utilized.

thanks...Michael

Anonymous
Kenwood tries to pack a lot of features into their products in order to make their stuff attractive, but Onkyo has a better build-quality and sound than Kenwood.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us