$800 Challenge - Smaller Speakers, Movie / CD Sound

Anonymous
Wife is letting me spend $1000 (minus $200 for a DVD player) on a stereo system to complement a hdtv xmas present. What would you buy?

Constraints
* Progressive scan DVD player AND a 5 disk CD player - buy separate or go for a combo? Worried about delay between CDs in an integrated package.
* Tending towards smaller surround speakers to accomodate wife's tastes but still want decent sound (aka not the Sony dream systems)
* Room is 15 x 20 ft
* Even mix of CDs and movies
* Want component inputs

Anonymous
If i were you I would go with the 5 disc progressive scan dvd changer, newer models are able to play every type of format including DVD-R and RW. Thats about 250 to 299. Second I would go with the pioneer 811s, it gos for around 225 to 290, but it can play DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX. Whats left are the speakers, you might want to go with a package deal which includes 5 speakers and a sub. Onkyo has a good set and so does harmon Kardon. Lastly Pioneer does have a theater in the box with seperate components, which has a progressive scan dvd player and a receiver with 6 channel, I don't know the model but check it out...it goes for 799.00 and It sound great I actually heard it...hope this helps.

Yonno
Unregistered guest
Go with a Yamaha HTR-5640 with Klipsch quintet II speakers with a Klipsch 12 inch KSW-12 Subwoofer..

Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 16
A couple of other suggestions for some really top flight receivers and still in your price range:

You could get a Marantz sr4400 at downtownaudio.com for $325 and look at NHT or Mordaunt Short speakers at accessories4less.com or look at a NAD T742 for $449 at Saturdayaudio.com which also lists NHT and PSB speakers. This is the right time as the new models are out and the clearance prices on the old models are great (I spent $530 on the Marantz sr5300 6 months ago).

LOL

Username: Discoshrew111

Post Number: 2
Check out www.orbaudio.com if you are looking for small speakers that sound big.

Username: Lamazion

Post Number: 2
If you plan on using the system for both music and movies, I would not buy the small satelite systems. They work great for movies but not so good for music. Try hometheaterforum.com and look for some used speakers. Recently saw energy c1s for $175/pr. Add a new cc1 center for $300. This will make a great front three for music and movies. I've seen the Yamaha RX-V630 on closeout for $240. I have this receiver and it is great! Add a pair of energy Take2 for rear at $100 and $150 for a descent sub. Another $100 for a nice DVD changer. This will put you just over you $1000 but you will have a fantastic system for movies and music. Also, with the Yamaha you can add another rear later and get 6.1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us