Speaker buzz, possible ground issue? help!

Username: Jersguitar

Post Number: 1
Evening folks... I have an odd problem that I can't seem to figure out, with my admittedly minimal knowledge of home theater systems.

I don't have a high-tech system at all, its actually just an old Sony receiver I picked up about 5-6 years ago running stereo sound on 2 Paradigm Titan speakers. I am running a Sony 5-disc changer into it, a Sony cassette deck, a cheap dvd player, and a cheap old vinyl record player. I do not have anything hooked into the receiver for radio reception.

Everything was running fine when I moved into my current place last september, and ran fine for about 5-6 months, until last month it developped a strange buzz in the speakers. The buzz is constantly there regardless of volume setting on the amp, or which input is selected, and is very erratic in its intensity.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing has been changed in terms of wiring, anythign new being plugged into the amp, anything new being plugged into electric sockets in the room, etc... I've tried unplugging virtually every other electrical device in the house to no avail. Sometimes the buzz is barely noticable, but last night was extremely loud and erratic, causing a great deal of frustration while watching a movie! I realize this may not be nearly enough information to solve the problem, but if there is a particular known problem that might be causing the issue, feel free to pass it my way, I'm open to any suggestions that don't involve gasoline or hammers. :-) In googling the problem I found a lot of different htings that might cause similar problems, and some mentioned a ground loop issue, how do I diagnose something like that, and would this be something that would just pop up out of nowhere? (a bad cable suddenly losing its ground or something?)

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

cheers...jeremy (jervisNO@SPAMtelus.net)

Username: Admin

Post Number: 286
The articles from this section offer some guidance:
www.ecoustics.com/Home/Accessories/Power_Conditioners/Power_Conditioner_Articles

Username: Jersguitar

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the link! I read through quite a few of those articles, and have come to the following conclusion: I'm still lost. :-)

Here's what I've learned - the noise must be at or after the receiver/amp, since changing the volume of the receiver/amp doesn't affect the volume of the buzz, neither does the buzz come or go with changing inputs on the amp, it stays constant across the board. after i figured that out, i went and unplugged every other electrical component in the room and turned off the lights... to no effect.

so, taking into account that i am no audiophile and know what i'm doing to a very limited extent, any tips on what i should do next to try isolating the problem?

thanks so much...

cheers...jer

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 113
try a different room (different breaker on the main electrical) and see if it persists if not or for that matter either way if you can afford 400 get a monster power center with stage 2 filtering that should more than take care of it

Anonymous

Hi I am having a similar problem but only with my center speaker and only when it is set to VCR 1 and the TV (which is also connected to VCR 1) is on. If you set it to the CD player or the tape deck there is no problem. Anyone know how to fix this and if it is the TV or the receiver or the cables that are the problem?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us