Subwoofer connection: LFE, Line Level or Speaker Level ?

Bronze Member
Username: Marcio

Post Number: 13
*** Sorry - my last 2 threads were posted with misppeled subjects, due to problems with forms fill-in - This is the correct subject, the content is the same ***

I'm really confused about the best method for connecting a sub to a receiver.

From what I have read so far, we should never use 2 crossovers at the same time: the receiver's and the sub's.

If this is true, the best connection, supposing a receiver has bass management (i.e. an adjustable crossover), would always be the LFE. Am I right ?

So, why do most subs have speaker level connections and some brands, like Polk, do recommend this method of hookup ? Is it because old receivers did not feature adjustable internal crossovers ?

I need to buy a sub for my Onkyo TX-SR602 and I'm selecting only models with a LFE input, following my logic.

I someone can help, please write. I would appreciate some really sound advice on this.

Thanks !

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 355
Some subs have speaker connections because all receivers do not have sub line level output. It also provides connection options and the ability to manually adjust crossover, depending on the speakers attached. LFE connection is probably best in most situations, but like many things in audio/video, everything depends on the equipment at issue.

Bronze Member
Username: Marcio

Post Number: 14
Thanks for your help, Dave.

I have one more doubt: what exactly is a line level input on the sub ? Does it receive the same information from the receiver as the speaker level inputs ?

And why does it have a left and right jacks ? As far as I know, the sub does not handle stereo signals, so why are there 2 jacks ?

Thanks again for help, and for anyone who can contribute.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us