Need advice on Home Theater Set-up

Username: Joe_pic

Philadelphia, PA US

Post Number: 5
I just purchased a Sony 60" LCD Rear Projection with HDMI; a Denon 1910 DVD with DVI; and a Denon 2105 A/V Reciever. I am a Comcast customer and have their HD box. Can anyone suggest the best way to connect the different components?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 306
I don't know that there is a best way. A lot depends on your preferences. These are mine. For video, if the HD box has HDMI or DVI, I would connect that output directly to the corresponding tv input (If HD box has DVI input, use DVI-HDMI cable). I would connect DVD by component cables. For audio,I would then connect analog cables (not necessary if HD box has HDMI output) from HD box and DVD player to tv. Next, I would connect digital out cables from HD box and DVD player to digital inputs on receiver. This configuration allows you to watch sources without turning on the receiver, if you prefer. This suggestion assumes certain facts about the connective capabilty of the equipment. I have no direct experience with the tv, HD box and receiver you list.

Username: Joe_pic

Philadelphia, PA US

Post Number: 6
Dale, thanks for your reply. I guess it's all a matter of preference. I was told to connect the DVD (DVI) to TV (HDMI) so I can fully utilize the "upconversion capability" of the DVD player. Any thoughts on that. Also, my cable box does have DVI.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 313
You asked a great question. I would not utilize the DVI connection for the DVD player because no matter how adept it is at up conversion, you will not get an HD picture from any current DVDs. Up conversion, depending on the material, may result in subtle picture improvements but you can not create an HD picture from non-HD media. On the other hand, your HD box will produce an HD picture and the DVI connection will take full advantage of that. Now there is some debate as to whether component or DVI connection gives the best picture. To settle that, you will just have to experiment. But when folks insist on using the DVI for upconversion purposes, always remember that you can not magically transform a standard source into HD. Just doesn't work. In the near future we will have HD DVDs and the equation will change.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us