Setup

Username: Tempelife

Post Number: 1
I understand that the quality of connections in decending order is DVI, component, s-video, composite, coax. However I don't understand a few things and want to build a home entertainment center, with MCE as my PVR but I need to understand some fundamental basics of picture quality.

My big question is if coax is such a poor picture, how do you avoid running the cable out of the wall in to the set-top box altogether (or is that impossible)? Furthermore (even in a simple configuration with the Set Top Box connection going straight to the TV, why would there be a difference in quality of picture between coax and component because the orginal signal came in as a coax from the wall? I mean will the components actually enhance the poorer coax signal because I thought that the signal is only as good as the worst connection if you follow the entire configuration regardless of the number connection points you have in between. If that being true, it would beg the quesiton, why even use higher end connections unless you're using a source that didn't come out of the wall such as DVD player?

Also, to throw a VCR in the mix with that simple configuration above, I know there would be an advantage to use components from the VCR to the TV for playing movies, but would it matter to run components from the set top box to the VCR instead of a coax? I would think that since the Set Top Box received a coax, components out aren't going to improve the signal? But if that actually does matter, are there any advantages to running coax and components in the same path simultaneously from the Set Top Box to the VCR to the TV in terms of quality? Is this considered starndard practice?

Also, is a set-top box even needed if you're using a home theater computer with a TV capture card from any manufacturer such as Hauppage?

I'm a bit lost. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 23
Bret great question and the answer for the question regarding weather or not Component video will improve the picture the answer is yes somewhat however if you have a bad signal that is either cable or Satellite ther is going to be no cable outhere that will improve the picture. That is the reason why I am very picky whe it comes to signal quality.
On regard to your cable card ( I think that is why you are asking) the only resaon you will need a cable card is for 2 way comunication such as paper view---

Anonymous

I'm trying to hookup my Samsung DVD player to my Daewoo Tv monitor. I used the right cords and plugged them into the right input/output plugs. There is no AUX button on my tv monitor and I scrolled through all the channels, but the DVD isn't showing on the screen. HELP!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 393
Anon, I'm sorry, but in terms of equipment reliability, you may have the worst of both worlds. Provide connection info and we will try to help to the extent it is possible given the components in question.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us