Coaxial to RCA converter

Username: Briancschoell

Post Number: 1
I need a device that has the following ins and outs:
Coaxial in
coaxial out
rca's out
i am trying to run A cable signal though a device that will send out audio to my amp though rca's and also has a coaxial line to the tv. the reason i need a device like this is that my tv does not have audio outputs and i don't have a cable box. any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 232
Brian, I know that you can purchase adapters that convert a coax cable to rca, but I'm just not certain about the device you need. Try Radio Shack. You could split the cable, connecting one to your tv and utilize the above-referenced adapter and connect the other to one of your receiver audio in jacks (or you could get an audio spliter that converts one rca into two), but you would lose the stereo signal in the process, assuming your tv receives and decodes stereo broadcasts. Sorry that I can't be of more assistance.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply.
I already went radioshack but the guy said he does not have a device like this. if anybody knows about a device that converts coaxial to rca I would be very grateful for some feedback.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 280
Is this what you need, Brian?

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
John, good photo-a picture is indeed worth a thousand words. This is the exact adapter to which I refer in my post. But I don't think its going to solve Brian's problem. Take care.

Username: Castawayjimmy

Dubbo, NSW Australia

I think this is what you are looking for

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shoptronics/rfsimotvvist1.html

Username: Castawayjimmy

Dubbo, NSW Australia

Post Number: 2
Or maybe even this

http://www.millionbuy.com/avsvs24.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
Jimmy, great thought. I'm not sure these devices will accomplish what Brian needs. Your devices seem to convert rca to coax. If I understood Brian, he needed to do the opposite. Did I misunderstand you Brian?

Colin Houghton
Unregistered guest
Just a thought....if your TV has a (stereo) audio out, just run your cable (coax) into your TV Cable IN...and then run your TV audio out to your stereo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 310
Colin, the original poster said "my tv does not have audio outputs". So how will your suggestion solve his dilemma?

Post Number: 3
thanks for all the feedback.

Dale is right. I need a device that is the opposite of the rf modulator shown in the links above. Here a link to an ebay auction i was looking at. Check it out and see if you think it will work for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5763107097%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26

Thanks
Brian

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 289
Brian.
Any recent model VCR (with cable ready tuner) will do exactly the same thing as the box on your ebay link. If you have one, use it.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the feedback john.
I have already tried two different vcrs and it did not work. Any suggestions about the item in the link?

Silver Member

Post Number: 326
"The main advantage of using this device is that it will take any off air or cable channel and reduce it to audio and video outputs. The audio and video distributed in a variety of way to multimedia in speakers and a video monitor for instance or to a sound system or HiFi and several displays in a home theater or marketing application. In other words this is a cheap and simple way to demodulator (RF to baseband) a TV signal. The universal remote is an added plus." Brian, I wouldn't swear to it, since the photos suck and not having access to the manuals, but it looks like you may have hit paydirt. Good luck.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 290
Brian,
I'm confused.....
In comparing this "demodulator box" to a VCR:

The box has a coax input....ditto VCR.
The box has a coax output, switchable to ch 3 or 4....ditto VCR.
The box has a composite video line output....ditto VCR.
The box has R/L audio line outputs....ditto (any stereo) VCR.
The box has a cable ready tuner (midband, superband) as well as normal VHF/UHF reception....ditto VCR.
The box has a remote control....ditto VCR.
The box has an S-Video output....only S-VHS VCR's have this, but it's not likely you will use it.

A VCR will not decode any "scrambled" premium channels on your cable line, but I can guarantee you this "demodulator box" won't either.

You may be able to control the audio volume into the amp via the box's remote (in other words, the R/L line outputs could be variable), but I think that is unlikely.

So the question remains, what will this box do for you that a VCR won't do?

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the replies.

Theoretically it seems as if a VCR should perform the same function as the box mentioned above, but this is not the case. As stated previously, I have tried two different VCRs and they did not send the coaxial cable signal to amp. The RCA outputs on a VCR only send the signal received internally from playing a tape. The VCR does not take the cable signal, break it down, and send it out via the RCAs.

To solve my dilemma I need a device that will take the Coaxial signal, convert it to RCAs, and send it to my amp. I am not sure that any device will do this except for the cable box from my cable company.

I will email the guy who is selling the box on eBay and ask him directly.

If this box will not work for me, I will have to run RCAs from the cable box upstairs, which will be a royal pain in the A$$.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 291
"The RCA outputs on a VCR only send the signal received internally from playing a tape."

I assure you that the same thing happens through the VCR when the cable is connected to the coax input, and the VCR's power is turned on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
Under normal circumstances, I would agree with John. A vcr connected to cable should send whatever signal it receives, either via tape or cable, to the analog output jacks if, as John suggests, the vcr is on. It is unclear to me why this hookup would not work for Brian. Please explain.

Dan Westfahl
Unregistered guest
I'm also in need of something similar. I have comcast digital cable, but really my only reason for having the digital cable box is to have RCA audio and video outputs from the digital cable (Coaxial) input. This way I can get decent sound to my amp. I understand my TV has the ability to do this conversion as well, but the pre-amp in the TV sounds terrible when routed to my high-end amp. Is there a standalone converter that will do this? Should I just try running it through my VCR or TiVo?

Chris12345
Unregistered guest
Trust me a VCR will work. Just turn it on. The coax will route through when the vcr is off but the rca connections have to have the vcr on.

Bronze Member
Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 77
BTW you have to put your TV into "Aux" or "Input" and change cannels from the VCR (not the TV) with this type of setup

Bronze Member
Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 77
BTW you have to put your TV into "Aux" or "Input" and change cannels from the VCR (not the TV) with this type of setup

Unregistered guest
I too now find myself looking for an adapter to connect cable(coaxial) to the rca inputs of my TV. Only because the rca inputs are clear but the coaxial input does not come in clear. Any help much appreciated.

trpp
Unregistered guest
Brian,

It sounds like you may be trying to have the video signal run through your amp as well as the audio signal. If you only connect the audio from the VCR to your amp and use the coax out to the TV for video, it should work fine. The only catch is that you have to use the VCR as your cable tuner.

Unregistered guest
Hello folks,

I am needing a device to do the same thing but for a projector. I want to connect my cable box coax to a Proxima Projector 4100:
http://www.proxima.com/service/dp4100/downloads/DP4200UG.pdf

As the manual shows, it takes rca inputs but no coax.

I'm a quadriplegic and spend half my time in bed on my back, so i want to project my cable tv signal to the ceiling in my bedroom.

i'd appreciate any ideas.

thx,
robert

Username: Pattyp

I have an RCA ColorTrack 19" manufactured in 1986. It has a "stereo adapter" output which is, I believe, coax. I used a coax/RCA adapter and ran a cable through a stereo amplifier/receiver but got no sound. Is there some other conversion it has to go through? I am hoping to hook up this old TV to a wireless FM transmitter so I can watch with the sound off using a portable radio. Thanks for any advice . . .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us