Help needed on speaker set up

Username: Nicholashall

Post Number: 1
Have a Sony DAV-SB100 system - I can't get sound out of all six speakers. I do get a signal through each speaker when using the Test function, so I believe all are connected properly. But when I play a CD or DVD I only get music or whatever through the front left,centre & right speakers -nothing through the subwoofer or surround right & left speakers.

What am I doing wrong or not doing? Can anyone help? My reputation as Dad who can fix anything is under serious threat!

Nick

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 228
OK, if the test signal works on all channels it sounds like either you have a decoding or set up problem. Is your DVD connected via digital cable, either coax or optical? Check and get back.

Anonymous

I just had to move my ederly mother in law into my house. She is basicly confined to bed. Would like to set up some kind of speaker across the room (similar to hospital bed type) so she can hear the TV better without blasting it thru out the house. Don't want to spend alot of money. Just a simple speaker will do.

Post Number: 2
Dale

Thanks for your reply.

My DVD is connected to the speakers using the Sony cables as supplied, not coax cable, but just a pair of single core wires. I don't know if it is optical cable - sorry, but i don't know what that is exactly. The DVD connection to the TV is an ordinary SCART cable, though I have the problem whether or not the TV is connected.

Any further thoughts?

Nick

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
OK. If I understand you, for audio purposes, you are running two wires (usually but not always colored red and white) to your receiver. That may be your problem-you can't obtain dolby digital sound with that connection. If you look carefully at the back of your DVD player (or in your owner's manual) you should see a digital out-it may be coax, optical or both. If it is optical only, check your receiver to make certain that it has an optical input. You will then have to purchase an optical cable to make the connection. If the digital out is coax (even if there is also an optical out) and your receiver accepts digital coax in, you can temporarily make that connection using a single rca cable. I say temporarily because you will probably want to buy a coax cable designed for this connection at some point. Now check those connections and get back to me.

Post Number: 3
I'm confused by your use of the word "receiver" -is that what I would call a speaker? In which case, yes I am running six two-wire cables to my six speakers from the speaker connectors on the DVD player. If not, what is a receiver?

I've looked carefully at the manual's picture of my DVD's connections and there is nothing corresponding to a digital out socket on the rear panel. Apart from the six speaker connectors, I have:
- a Euro AV Output(to TV), which is coonected to my TV by a SCART cable
- Monitor Out (Video), not in use
- Video (Audio In L/R), not in use
- AM Loop Antenna Connectors, not in use
- FM Antenna Connector, not in use

Sorry to be so difficult, but all this is completely new to me..

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
OK. Tell me exactly what components you have and we'll start from there.

Post Number: 4
I'm attempting to hook up a very simple system:

- Sony DAV-SB100 DVD Home Theatre System with six speakers (2 front,1 centre, 2 surround & a subwoofer)connected using Sony supplied cables from speaker connectors on rear panel to 2 clips on each speaker

- Thompson 32WH402 S Television

Right now I get test signals from all six speakers, but when playing DVD or CD (with or without the TV connected), I only get sound fom the front right, centre & left speakers.

Hope this is enough info to be going on with & hoping you can find an answer..

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
OK. Sounds like you might have a speaker system that does not include a traditional receiver-an audio/video component to which you connect the speakers and equipment like a DVD or CD player. I went to the Sonystyle web site to try and secure detailed info but could not locate your unit. Tell me where and how you connect your DVD player.

Post Number: 5
No, as you say, I don't have any other component sitting between my DVD and speakers.

I'm not certain what you mean by "where and how you connect your DVD player", beyond what I've already told you.

I live in France, so the TV & DVD were both purchased here.

I connect the DVD to TV using a SCART cable. There are no other connections, other than to the six speakers via simple two wire cables.

Thanks for your efort on this, I do appreciate it. Hope I'm not just looking at dud equipment here..

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
OK. What is the source of the "two simple wire cables" and how exactly are they connected to the speakers?

Post Number: 6
The speaker cables were supplied by Sony with the Home Theatre System. They have plugs on one end that click into sockets in the back of the DVD unit. They have bare wires at the other end - these are connected to the clips on the back of each speaker, marked + & -.

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
Nicholas, I'm sorry but this is a configuration with which I am not familiar. However, it sounds as though you do not have a digital connection from your DVD player. And without that, or at least some way to produce a Pro Logic signal, you will probably not get much, if any, sound from the rears.

Anonymous

I too am looking for a personal type TV speaker for my elderly mother to use in bed - much like the ones at the hospital. Any idea where one could be found?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2891
Try a medical equipment supply company.

Jack Dominico
Unregistered guest
Any safe method to use more than one subwoofer and additional speakers via 5.1 surround receiver / amplifier??

Unregistered guest
ive connected up all the cables but i do not get no sound on any of the speakers- any idea of what i should do or can you please send me the connection setup via my email which is hoqeanamul@hotmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us