5.1 and 3/2.1CH

Unregistered guest
Why does my DVD-Player (as well the display of the DVD-Player on the TV-screen) shows only Dolby Digital 3/2.1CH even I use DVDs which have following labels: Dolby Digital, DTS, 5.1ch surround?
My DVD-Player is a Pioneer DV-464-S.
I have Kenwood HBT-S500 Home-Theater-System, which includes a KAF-S500-Amplifier
(boxes: 2 front, 2 rear, 1 center, 1 sub-woofer).

Best regards
Astrid Vogelwedde, Mrs.

Username: John_s

Post Number: 7
Astrid:
My understanding is that 5.1 and 3/2.1 are exactly the same.

If you are having trouble getting the dts track, then you probably need to go into the DVD player's audio menu setup and activate dts.

You then, before you play the movie, select dts on the disc's menu (usually labeled "Audio Setup"). If you don't, audio automatically defaults to Dolby Digital.

Anonymous

Cheers!
Astrid

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 279
By the way, Astrid, in order to obtain genuine 5.1 mutichannel sound from the DVD, there has to be a digital connection between the DVD-player and the amplifier/receiver. That means either electrical co-axial cable or the fibre-optic "TOSlink" cable. It is usually the receiver that processes the Dolby Digital or DTS, using the digital signal the player gives it. If you use the stereo, analogue connection, you only get two-channel.

Unregistered guest
I had the same problem with my fancy new Yamaha set up.
Problem was resolved when I connected the digital cables! Simply use chep co-ax cables and the beast lights up like a dream.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us