Samsung DLP 4663 - Native Resolution?

Username: Pacificasurfer

Post Number: 6
I have the Samsung DLP 4663, and I am trying to figure out what upconversion display mode from my DVD player works best, 720p or 1080i. I plan to test with actual DVDs, but does anyone know the native resolution for the Samsung DLP 4663?

Username: Sr_immortal

Post Number: 1
720p...and it will upconvert/downconvert any other signal to 720p...also try posting this in the home "video" threads...you will get a whole lot more responses...I only know cause I just bought the same TV!

Username: Pacificasurfer

Post Number: 7
Thanks for your response Joshua. Do you have an upconverting DVD player? If so, do you send 720P or 1080i to the TV? What have you found to work best? Any other advice for a fellow 4663 owner?

I actually had to take my first 4663 back because of a software glitch, but I love it otherwise, especially with the HD signal.

Thanks again.

Username: Sr_immortal

Post Number: 3
No I dont have an upconverting DVD player. I use my xbox, which doesnt do a real good job because it sends it through at 480p. But if I did, I would send 720p from the DVD player to the TV.

You gotta think that anytime you convert something, you are going to lose a little bit of the signal. So try to keep everthing at 720p if you can. Plus 1080i is not as good of a signal as 720p. The interlaced(i) means it only reads every other line. The progressive means it reads every line. So the closest interlaced signal would have to be 1440i(720x2=) to be as good as the 720p.

Also, dont worry about going with the DVI or HDMI cables to hook your cable up to. I would reccomend getting the HD Cable if it is available in your area. Turn the contrast up to 90 and the sharpness down to about 30. That helped the PQ a lot for me.

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung HLN-43 with the 841-HD DVD player. It will upconvert to 1080i. I didnt notice any difference, if any I think the lower resolution was better, 1080i seems like it adds some noise to the picture because DVD's even in their high quality dont produce more than 480 (i think). I have my DVD player hooked up by the DVI cable, and again with the cable I notice no difference between the DVI and low-end component cables. The comcast HD channels are awesome on this TV though!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us