SACD - versus - DVD Audio

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 45
What is the difference/pros and cons between these two sound formats?

I have a Denon DVD-2200 which is capable of both formats. I need to buy the analog cables and I think both formats need the analog cables set.

I don't have any music media yet so wondering waht I should go after...DVD Audio or SACD when I do. Thanks.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 3
ahh, the format wars. There are releases that are on DVD-Audio but not on SACD. The choices are actually narrowed down for you, because I believe that Sony has tried to monopolize the SACD format. Some studios have releases DVD-Audio so that it has more mass appeal

cheers

Unregistered guest
DVD-Audio will play on all DVD players giving superb quality and a multi channel mix. SA-CD will play on a SA-CD player and a cd player, but when played with the cd player it wont give the full resolution. So, both have cons and pros and to listen to you wouldn't hear a difference.

But, I would prefer DVD-Audio to be the one everyone goes for. DVD discs are very popular, can be burnt from home computers and offer many features. Why introduce yet another format? I don't want 20 different players sitting in my front room...

Soon cd players wont exist. You'll just have a DVD player. This would make sense because in the cheap range of DVD players, they cost about the same as a cd player and do the same thing and more.

Although, all DVD players will play DVD-Audio, but some don't have the audio specifications to play them at the full resolution. Although, they are the old ones. Newer ones should be able to play at about 96khz 24bit which is ample. Although DVD-Audio is capable of playing 192khz 24bit, but recording equipment lacks the technology to process at that rate. I have found 192khz recorders but only 96khz mixers and effects processors. And plugging a microphone straight into a recorder is not something you would do, if you wanted it to sound any good that is.

DVD's are the future. SA-CD's are just a pain in the bum and I'd hate to see them live much longer, and affect DVD-Audio.

Down with SA-CD, DVD is the better, more popular choice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us