Connecting PS2 to PC (SPDIF In)

Username: Capnkrush

Post Number: 1
Forgive my ignorance here, I've combed the internet for over an hour, and still can't figure this one out.

I'm trying to connect my Playstation 2 to my ABIT IS7 motherboard via the S/PDIF-in cable. Once there, I want to route the sound from the S/PDIF-in to the 5.1 speakers I have connected to the motherboard.

At this point, I'm able only hear the sound from the PS2 (with a movie or a game) as a Stereo sound only. PLUS, this only works when I check the "Real-Time spdif-in monitor", BUT checking this totally screws up my other 5.1 functions (i.e. playing a CD, the channels are routed incorrectly until I uncheck the "real-time" monitor.

With the PS2 menu during a move (select button), there is an option to setup as DTS or DD, but when I choose either of these I hear NO sound??!

I realize some/most PS2 games don't have 5.1 encoding, but I would imagine I should be able to route the Spdif-in from a movie to the 5.1 speakers hanging off my board.

Unless I'm totally missing the point on S/pdif.

Jey
Unregistered guest
i have the same problem....

you are correct it should work...

but wait for it...

abit's stupid (m)bother board only supports 2 channel input on spdif connection...

so even if there is a 8 channle (7.1) sound coming through ... the mother board audio will only pick up the 2 channel (stereo)

i am thinking of getting a device "creative ddts100" to hook up all my gear to...

you should check it out as well...

http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&

Rosco
Unregistered guest
Has this improved on the Abit AV8?? Can the spdif input pick up 5.1 channels?

Thanks

ScRuBBoY69@!
Unregistered guest
By an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe Mobo and you'll be asking yourself why you ever bothered with ABIT!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us