Home Theater n00b

Username: Vandiyan

Post Number: 1
Just bought my first HDTV last week and the owner's manual that came with it is not that great. Here are the products that I am using.

TV - Toshiba 46H84
DVD - Sony DVD/VCR Combo SLV-D350P
Cable - Scientific Atlanta 3100

As of right now I only have a Dolby Pro-Logic receiver (I know I know I need to upgrade) with no digital audio inputs.

What I need to know is what would be the best way to connect all of these. I dont really need to connect the receiver at the moment as I plan I buying a new one soon. All of the items, tv, dvd, and cable box have an S-Video output and the DVD player has component. Component would be better but right now only have money to connect via S-Video. Any help you experts can provide would be awesome. Thank you in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 349
Todd,

There really isnt a universal 'best' way. There are all sorts of ways you can make it all work. Since you're stuck with the 2channel dolby pro logic surround(for now), how you choose to make it work is less critical since you dont have 5.1 surround to worry about.

Video is simple. Simply run SVS from the DVD and Cable box directly into your TV inputs.

As for audio, I would still include your reciever into the loop because listening to surround with prologic decoders beats the heck out of plain old 'tv' speakers anyday.

I run my DVD audio directly into my receiver because I listen to them exclusively in surround sound.

As for your cablebox, it depends on the number of audio outputs on the box. I have multiple outputs on my satbox, so I can run audio directly to both the TV and receiver. That way, I can watch regular TV with, or without my receiver.

You'll just have to experiment a little. Until you get your new receiver, your method of connection isnt very important, and there isnt really a 'wrong' way.

Now if you have digital....then it becomes more critical because if you do it wrong, 5.1 wont work. For now, plug it all together any old way. You should definitely intergrate your receiver.

Post Number: 3
Thanks a lot for the information. I think I kinda have it figured out. I can run an S-video cable from my cable box directly to the back of the tv, which will be video 1. I can also run the dvd player via s-video to the back of the tv, which will be video 2. When connecting the cable box to the back of the tv with the s-video I wont have to run the coaxial cable to the tv also will I?

Fdr. Spock
Unregistered guest
Looking for info here, as far as your question...
You don't have to run a coax cable to your tv as well. Your s-video from the cable box is all you need. The coax directly into your tv will give you another input should you ever want it (Ant-A), which would include picture and sound, but quality would not be nearly as good as your s-video input from the cable box.

Fdr. Spock
Unregistered guest
Once you have the money connect your cable box and dvd player via component inputs, and then upgrade to a dolby digital receiver. you will see a handsome reward upgrading from s-video to component...

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
Run Coaxial to the TV????

Uh oh...

Todd,
if you recently upgraded to HDTV, you might want to call your cable provider and update your cable service as well. I use satellite, so maybe Im wrong, but do HDcable boxes have Coaxial connecting to the TV????? What the heck??

Sorry that I missed this in your previous post, but if you have a HDTV, you'll be connecting from your cable box using either HDMI or DVI for video. If you dont make the change, you're defeating the entire purpose of your new TV.

Connecting your HDTV with S-VHs is like buying a $70,000 Dodge Viper, and fueling it with whiskey.

Post Number: 4
As of right now I have not planned on upgrading my cable to HD cable. Not enough channels to justify the 25.00 extra a month. Was thinking about getting an HD antenna so that I could at least get local channels that broadcast in HD. I will be getting component cables this weekend. I thought that they were a lot more then then s-video cables. Only about 10.00 more. A digital receiver on the other hand is a month or two down the road. Or at least that is what the wife says. LOL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
Todd,

At the very least, having access to all of your local channel HDprogramming is an absolute must!! So long as your TV has a built-in HDtuner, you can connect an antennae directly to the TV.

While it's true that there arent very many HD 'dedicated' channels included with the cable HDpack, there is a lot of HD programming on your local channels. Not everyone is able to get all of their local channels over the air, and it depends on your market. If you live in Atlanta, or any city, you have a pretty good shot at getting them all. Everyone has a different experience....Luckily, I had no problems with reception:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us