DVI 'Y' cable instead of an expensive switch?

Username: Murraymcleod

Post Number: 2
I have a Mitsubishi 55" CRT Projection with a single DVI input. I'd like to connect a cable box and an upconverting DVD player to this TV via that DVI port without paying $200-300 for a DVI switch. Is there such a thing as a DVI 'Y' cable, or would that cause problems, even if only one of the input devices were on at a time? Thanks...

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 344
I have never seen them, but someone here might have the answer you're looking for.

You might want to reconsider the upconverting dvd players at this point in time. Their performance is at best, inconsistant. They tend to upconvert more 'grain' inperfections in the DVD source, than they do anything else. The problem isnt so much the player, but the DVD.

For now, I would recommend getting a quality set of component cables, and using those until HD players and discs hit the market in force. Trying to take a lowdef source, and upconverting it into something it isnt, hasnt worked very well from what I've seen. I considered doing exactly what you suggest when I upgraded to HD, but after researching the topic, decided against the upconverting DVD player.

Anybody else have comments on this?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us