Help with speakers in cabinets...

Thomas B
Unregistered guest
I am looking for front and center channel speakers for a new home theater setup. My problem is that all of these speakers will be installed in cabinets. I have been looking for bookshelf speakers for the fronts and plan to purchase a sub as well. I have auditioned the B&W 805's, KEF XQ1, Revel M22 and so far my favorite is the M22's - although they cost more than the $2500 that I hoped to spend on the fronts and center.

As I was looking for more info on the web, I saw much good press on the Von Schweikert VR-1 / LCR-15, the Usher X-718 and the JMLabs Electra 906. I am looking for the pair that will sound the best in my cabinets - also at a good price. I am also trying to locate "local" dealers (Minnesota) for the Von Schweikert, Usher and JMLabs so I can hear them personally.

Several of these speakers are rear ported which I have read may be a problem in a cabinet. The VR-1 is not ported and the 906's are front ported. The M22 has a "switch" on the back that can be set for either stand mounting or close to a wall.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 343
Thomas,
Not to be redundant because I saw your other thread, but dont buy high end speakers if you only intend to ruin them by placing them in cabinets.

That's like buying a Mercedes, only to see if it floats. Stick with budget speakers if you intend to place them inside furnature because regardless of what you buy, it will sound like crap.

If you have the slightest concern for quality(obviously you do since you're considering 2500 bookshelfs), you will want to go in a different direction with regard for concealment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us